This position is responsible for the operation of various types of equipment, maintenance and grounds keeping of all properties and accomplishment of assigned tasks.
- Assists in cutting grass, trimming trees, maintaining playground equipment, and cleaning and maintaining rental facilities.
- Participates in the maintenance of city buildings.
- Participates in the maintenance of city parks and grounds.
- Assists in the maintenance of department vehicles, tools and equipment.
- May be required to work overtime or subject to recall to duty in case of emergency.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance principles and practices,
- Knowledge of building maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Knowledge of traffic rules and regulations and safe operation of equipment.
- Skill in operating a variety of building and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Skill in operating hand and power tools.
- Skill in the repair and maintenance of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
Guidelines include City Charter, Code of Ordinances, policies and procedures, building codes, erosion control laws and regulations, safe work practices, relevant state and federal law, and equipment operating instructions. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related building and grounds maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is for the upkeep and maintenance of the road areas in the city.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city personnel, vendors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color.
- The work may be performed indoors or outdoors, and occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
- The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and irritating chemicals. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Work in high noise environments and under adverse weather conditions.
- Climb ladders and work in elevations of fifty (50) feet.
- Work in areas where chemicals are used and near moving mechanical parts.
· Materials and equipment used:
Pickup Truck Lug Wrench Various Hand Tools Gauges
Pull Rod Two Way Radio Power Tools Excavator
Loaders Testing Meters Mowing Machines Data Loggers Computer
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- High School Diploma or GED
- One -three years’ experience in a related field.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the minimum level of qualifications as stated above.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Must have and maintain a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
- Due to the safety-sensitive nature of this position, incumbents will be subject to random drug testing.
Based on level of qualifications and experience