The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Under the supervision of a Container Yard Manager, or the manager's designee, the Equipment Operator operates all container handling equipment and performs associated duties in a safe and productive manner. The work performance is to meet a standard of quality that facilitates our service commitments to our customers. Upholds the values of the GPA to promote Safety, Integrity, Respect, Community, Creativity and Opportunity. Promotes a safe work environment by participating in safety initiatives and reporting unsafe conditions and behaviors.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Capable and willing to operate all of the major types of container field equipment to include, but not limited to: Jockey Truck, Forklift, Forklift with chassis flipper attachment, Toplift (full and empty), RTG, Grunt, and RMG; operating in a safe and efficient manner while loading and unloading containers and chassis.
2. Willing and able to work productively in conjunction with vessel stevedoring and yard operations.
3. Inspects assigned equipment in order to record its safe working condition and report mechanical and safety deficiencies to an immediate supervisor.
4. Works safely at all times and is able to follow instructions.
5. Performs manual labor involving lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, kneeling, climbing, walking, pushing and pulling.
6. Performs all clerical duties related to receiving and delivering containers/chassis.
7. Willing and able to learn RF system, computer, and other technology.
8. Maintains accurate stack inventory from containers and chassis received and delivered to/from vessel, gate, rail, and warehouse.
9. Responds to stevedore orders for equipment loading and unloading vessels. Records lease times for equipment as necessary.
10. Checks for damage and/or exceptions on cargo and records and/or reports events accordingly.
11. Guides or directs peers working within his/her jurisdiction.
12. Must be able to conduct equipment training for new and promoted employees.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Possess working knowledge of heavy equipment, to facilitate the operation of RTGs and container cranes. Have the ability of working at heights of up to 75 feet. Perform manual labor involving lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, kneeling, climbing, walking, pushing, and pulling. Be in good physical condition with excellent peripheral vision, night vision, depth perception, have the ability to distinguish colors, and have good hearing. Vision requirements: Visual acuity of 20/40 with or without corrective lenses for each eye, minimum depth perception of 6/9, and minimum peripheral vision of 70 degrees for each eye. Must have good eye-hand-foot coordination, the ability to follow instructions, and perform routine, repetitive work.
The ability to communicate in writing and to accomplish tasks from written instructions. Must be able to work shift work, holidays, and weekends when necessary. Must possess the ability to be trained as new technology is introduced into the workplace. Having the ability to interact and communicate effectively and professionally with GPA staff on all levels is required.
Must have the ability to work in and make the work adjustment according to changes occurring in various weather conditions i.e., hot, cold, humid, wet, etc. Carry the ability to successfully complete training on new technology, as automation is introduced into the job.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Previous experience in heavy equipment operation, possession of a valid CDL, and some clerical experience are desired.
Must meet the criteria for and obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC). Valid state driver's license requiredp >