The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The Senior Procurement Officer is responsible for managing the purchase of materials, supplies, equipment and contractual services for Macon-Bibb County in the most efficient and cost-effective manner which is in the best interest of the government. Major duties include purchasing and procurement; preparation of bid documents; oversight of bid administration; contracts administration; bid analysis and award recommendation; and overall management and supervision of purchasing staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are representative of the work required for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Plans, organizes, coordinates, and supervises staff in the procurement of goods and services, professional services, construction and public works projects, and other contractual agreements on behalf of Macon-Bibb County within the guidelines and requirements outlined by federal, state, and local laws.
• Oversees administration of the automated purchasing system and contract management.
• Reviews and approves all purchase requisitions from Macon-Bibb County Departments.
• Performs cost/price analysis of procurement requests and researches sources of supply.
• Initiates and oversees the entire bid/proposal process from department consultation, scope development, advertising, and award.
• Reviews and analyzes technical specifications to ensure completeness prior to bid processing. Ensure specifications are clear to ensure contractor compliance.
• Opens bids and proposals, analyzes results, and recommends awards.
• Presents award recommendations to Board of Commissioners.
• Reviews specifications and conditions for invitations to bid, request for proposals, request for qualifications, request for quotations, letters of interest, etc. Prepares solicitation documents, for goods and services, analyzing bids, and preparing recommendations for bid awards or other appropriate actions.
• Develops programs for increasing the inclusiveness of the bidding process.
• Provides relevant purchasing information and reports to public officials and department heads for informational and budgetary purposes.
• Researches, develops, and implements policies and programs to improve the purchasing system of Macon-Bibb County.
• Establishes and maintains a vendor file, including all relevant information regarding the vendors.
• Validates vendor profiles to confirm items such as business licensing, e-verify compliance, drug free workplace compliance, etc.
• Conducts research involving purchase orders and invoice problems.
• Develops and administers the Department’s budget.
• Monitors, evaluates, and manages the Procurement Staff.
• Supervises and trains department staff and other departmental staff in how to properly acquire goods and services at the best value, utilizing public funds.
• Responsible for oversight of surplus supplies to include the transfer, sale or other disposal of surplus supplies.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Senior Procurement Officer should possess, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, plus five (5) years’ experience in the purchasing field; experience working in Purchasing or Contract Management for a municipal government within the State of GA preferred; two years of supervisory experience, preferred; or any equivalent combination of education and experiences which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. Certification as a Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) or the ability and willingness to obtain within two years of hire date is preferred.