The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Park Maintenance Worker.
Under the general direction of the Park Operations Manager, the employee will consist of manual labor performing semi-skilled tasks or assisting skilled workers. Positions allocated to this classification report to a designated crew leader and work under direct or limited supervision. Work in this class is distinguished from higher classes by its lack of supervisory duties and from lower classes by its emphasis on semi-skilled parks maintenance and construction.
Essential Job Functions:
• Performs routine trail, grounds and landscaping work, including but not limited to: pruning or trimming vegetation, pulling weeds, mowing, spraying or applying herbicide and fertilizer, raking or blowing leaves, edging curbs, loading trimmings onto truck, picking up trash and blowing or sweeping debris off parking lots and sidewalks.
• Performs basic installation of city trees, shrubs, and bedding plants, including but not limited to; preparing planting sites, digging holes, setting and watering plants and preparing appropriate supporting structures.
• Operates motorized equipment such as mowers, tractors, front end loader, backhoe, dump trucks, and trailers used to transport materials and equipment to maintain parks, grounds, athletic fields and other areas. Operates other equipment as required. Services and washes vehicles.
• Inspects and perform scheduled preventative maintenance on assigned equipment, including but not limited to checking and making appropriate adjustments, lubricating, performing fluid and filter changes, replacing components and lighting maintenance and repairs.
• Performs athletic field maintenance, including but not limited to chalking, dragging and watering infields and warning tracks, packing holes on pitchers’ mounds, home plates and bullpens, laying out fields, painting lines and bases, picking up trash and removing practice equipment from fields.
• Assists with the maintenance, assembly and repair of recreation equipment.
• Assists or performs basic electrical, carpentry, plumbing, painting, concrete, and other trade work. Uses and maintains power hand tools, such as drills, nailing guns and circular saws.
• Performs hand and bench work in a carpentry shop and performs welding and metal repairs.
• Supports City special events and programs by updating, repairing and caring for displays and exhibits, moving and lifting of heavy equipment, tables, and chairs, setting up barricades and other temporary traffic control devices, providing flagging services and cleaning up at the end of events.
• Assists in moving and storing office equipment and cleaning and maintaining buildings and facilities.
• Ensures park facilities are properly secured after normal hours and responds to emergencies and disasters. Enforces compliance with building rules and regulations.
• Attends work on continuous and regular basis.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Graduation from high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma;
• One (1) year experience in professional landscape work or park maintenance, including the use of hand tools, power tools and motorized equipment including trucks, trailers, mowers and tractors;
• Experience in equipment maintenance, repair and construction work;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience;
• Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia’s driver license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of types and uses of common hand and power tools, materials, and standard equipment used in grounds keeping, facility maintenance, construction, and repairs.
• Knowledge of maintenance and construction methods related to parks, athletic fields and recreation equipment.
• Knowledge of precautions necessary to work safely with tools and mechanized equipment and around the public.
• Ability to perform manual tasks involving physical strength and endurance under variable weather conditions including working with herbicides and around extreme heat.
• Ability to work effectively with coworkers and the general public.
• Ability to read and understand detailed and complex work schedules and diagrams. Ability to work independently with little supervision.
• Ability to conform to grooming and dress codes (uniforms furnished).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work requires physical strength and agility enough to safely perform all essential functions.
• Work may require performance of tasks outdoors under varying weather conditions.
• Work may require performing tasks in and around heavy traffic.
• May be required to work outside regular business hours depending on departmental needs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• May drive or operate other pieces of light to medium equipment or trucks in the absence of regular equipment operators or truck drivers.
• May act in the absence of supervisor.
• May direct the work of contractors or volunteers.
• May perform work of a lower classification.
• Willing to work additional hours, weekends, on call and holidays, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >