Position Title: Accounting Technician
Reports to: Finance Director
Department: Administration – City Hall
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary of Position:
This is skilled accounting and clerical work responsible for managing payment of all invoices and receivables that are presented to the City and front office backup. This position will also serve as backup for business licenses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of a specific statement from the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responsible for receiving invoices from all City departments for entry into the computer system. This includes double checking to ascertain payment status.
- Responsible for reviewing and confirming the veracity of account statements from each vendor against invoices in hand to determine the number of outstanding invoices, and then entering this information into the computer system. Any missing invoices are requested to be faxed to our office for inclusion into the system.
- Responsible for issuing and mailing checks before the due date of each individual invoice. Processing where possible, multiple invoices to be paid with one check. Payments are entered into the computer system to track City expenditures.
- Responsible for verifying the total amounts coincide with the amount shown on each invoice.
- Verifies and prepare deposits for property tax, sanitation, permits, franchise taxes, rents, court, jail funds, and excise tax.
- Receiving revenue for occupational taxes and sanitation fees accounts and posting deposits of revenue into the accounting software.
- Exercises discretion in the performance of the work and regularly uses independent judgment.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting practices, and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of standard government fund accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer based financial systems administrative and managerial processes.
- Skilled in the use of a computer, the evaluation of personnel, and oral and written communication.
- Good knowledge of English and other languages common in Doraville (Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean) preferred.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Must have a high school diploma, GED equivalent, Bachelor's degree in accounting or like field experience preferred.
- Must have experience in clerical work.
- Must have considerable experience with accounting.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license.
- Must be bondable.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
- Ability to communicate orally and to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, taste, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals.
- Performance of essential functions may require exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, smoke, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, fire, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, explosives, water hazards, disease, pathogenic substances, or rude/irate customers.
- In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable law, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the City.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Must be able to work various shifts which include working on weekends and holidays.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background investigation, to include but not limited to, a physical examination with drug screening and an oral interview.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Employment with the City of Doraville is at-will in accordance with Georgia law.
The City of Doraville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.