This position is responsible for providing professional planning support for the Community Development Department.
The purpose of this position is to work with developers on plans, review plans and sign permit applications and, to also provide support to the Planning and Zoning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals and the Architectural Review Board by processing applications, preparing staff reports and agendas and attending their meetings. The incumbent in this position will assist the Community Development Director with implementation of both the City’s Unified Development Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan along with other short and long range planning studies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Composes and types a variety of correspondence, forms, reports and records.
- Responds to requests from developers, contractors, real estate personnel, attorneys and the general public regarding city zoning, land use, and development codes.
- Receives, directs and resolves requests, inquiries and complaints from the public.
- Reviews residential, commercial and industrial plans for conformance with applicable zoning codes and conditions.
- Prepares staff reports for Planning and Zoning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Architectural Review Board, and other entities as needed and assigned; processes variance and rezoning applications; accepts applications for and prepares agendas and minutes, public notices, letters, signs and legal ads for said Boards and performs ARB and Zoning inspections for Certificates of Occupancy/Completion.
- Responds to questions about the City’s UDO, Comprehensive Plan and Sign Ordinance
- Prepares information for public hearings and board meetings.
- Attends public (evening) meetings of the Boards support is provided for.
- GIS skills and capabilities are desired
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Construction Management; Political Science, or a related field from an accredited college or university
- Five to ten years of experience in a planning, zoning and development related office. AICP Certification is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of city and departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of city codes and building codes.
- Knowledge of permit process.
- Knowledge of Land Disturbance and Development regulations for Gwinnett County, Georgia Environment Protection Agency, Georgia Department of Natural Resources and other state and federal agencies as needed.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices.
- Knowledge of the geographic boundaries of the city.
- Knowledge of modern office equipment, procedures and maintenance.
- Skill in maintaining records and compiling records.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Skill in communicating with the public.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities: Any other duties as assigned by management.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: starting at $60,000 BOQ Full Benefits, EOE, DFW,
Submit a Norcross Application email@example.com
EOE/DFW; No phone call please