Department: Parks and Recreation
Salary: $16.56 per hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position supervises and participates in the work of a crew of personnel engaged in the maintenance of city park grounds, landscaping, athletic fields, and/or facilities.
Essential Job Duties
- Coordinates and supervises the work of a crew of personnel.
- Supervises and participates in grounds maintenance as assigned, including mowing, trimming weeds, trimming trees and shrubs, and removing leaves.
- Supervises and participates in athletic field maintenance as assigned, including performing turf maintenance, preparing fields for play, and maintaining fences, bleachers, other structures, and facilities.
- Inspects the safety of playground equipment; reports maintenance and repair need’s to supervisor.
- Assists in setting up for special events, tournaments, and programs.
- Operates a variety of equipment, including trucks, bush-hog, and hand and power tools.
- Supervises and participates in the maintenance and repair of vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of park and grounds maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of athletic fields maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of equipment operation, maintenance, and repair principles.
- Skill in planning.
- Skill in reading and interpreting maps and drawings and specifications.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of grounds maintenance equipment.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Parks Operations Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of related technical and supervisory duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to supervise and participate in the work of a crew of personnel engaged in the maintenance of city parks and recreation facilities. Successful performance in this position contributes to the efficient and effective maintenance of those facilities.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city personnel, vendors, contractors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, and motivate persons.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position has direct supervision over assigned crew of personnel.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years’ experience or service.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Application Information: Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *