Department: Parks and Recreation
Salary: $12.13 per hour
Closing Date: May 31, 2021
This position is responsible for supervision of all camp water-based activities.
Essential Job Duties
- Performs duties related to assisting the Camp Director and Assistant Director in providing a safe and friendly environment for campers.
- Performs duties and makes decisions consistent with department mission, vision, and core values.
- Conducts weekly swim assessment of camp participants and establishes limitations for individual range in the water.
- Supervises and leads camp participants in all water-based activities.
- Delivers accurate and timely reports of injuries, safety issues, damage to property, needed repairs, and low inventories of camp supplies to the attention of the Camp Director or Assistant Director.
- Follows, practices, and helps enforce all rules and safety standards for camp
- Provides quality customer service to camp participants and guardians.
- Follows verbal and written instructions from superiors and ensures the timely and quality completion of those assigned tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
- Current American Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification or equivalent.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions Ability to maintain good physical condition, as well as professional work-related practices – safety, alertness, dependability, responsibility, initiative, courteousness, good judgment, cleanliness, endurance, and ability to work with all ages.
The Summer Camp Lifeguard reports directly to the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director and may also be directed by other administrative staff within the department at times.
Guidelines include the city ordinances, policies and procedures, lifeguard, CPR, and first aid certification guidelines, rules and safety standards for camp. These guidelines are generally clear and specific.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of varied duties related to providing recreational swimming activities for program participants.
- The purpose of this position is to ensure the safety of the program participants. Successful performance contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of summer camp operations.
- Contacts are typically with counselors, other city employees, counselors in training, children, parents of participates in program, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed in an outdoor setting in a variety of weather conditions while participating in moderate to high levels of physical activity including but not limited to standing, running, swimming, wading, walking, jumping, and bending. The employee occasionally lifts light and medium objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
Oversees a group of participants in the program.
- Must be seventeen (17) years of age or older. College students desired.
- Experience in participating in a variety of recreational type activities, extracurricular activities at school, volunteering, and serving the community.
- Must be certified as a lifeguard.
- Must be able to work Monday – Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm., work four eight-hour days per week. Special training events are required in the weeks prior to camp starting. Additional hours and some overtime may be required.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Application Information: Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *