Department: Parks and Recreation
Salary: $10.46 per hour
Closing Date: June 30, 2021
This position is responsible for assisting the Summer Camp Director in the planning, preparation, implementation, and evaluation of recreational activities for the Camp Acworth Program.
Essential Job Duties
- Performs duties related to assisting the Camp Director and Assistant Directors in providing a safe and friendly environment for campers.
- Performs duties and makes decisions consistent with department mission, vision, and core values.
- Supervises and leads camp participants in a variety of daily indoor and outdoor activities based on direction provided by the Director or Assistant Director.
- Delivers accurate and timely reports of injuries, safety issues, damage to property, needed repairs, and low inventories of camp supplies to the attention of the Camp Director or Assistant Directors.
- Follows, practices, and helps enforce all rules and safety standards for camp.
- Provides quality customer service to camp participants and guardians.
- Follows verbal and written instructions from superiors and ensures the timely and quality completion of those assigned tasks.
- Follow verbal and written instructions from superiors and ensures the timely and quality completion of those assigned tasks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Ability to work cooperatively with supervisors, peers, and with children of various ages.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Summer Camp Counselor reports directly to the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director and may also be directed by other administrative staff within the department at times.
Guidelines include rules and safety standards for camp, city ordinances, policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of related clerical and customer service duties. Frequent interruptions contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide support for the day-to-day operations of summer camp. Successful performance contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of summer camp operations.
- Contacts are typically with counselors, other city employees, counselors in training, children, parents of participates in program, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed in an indoor or outdoor setting in a variety of weather conditions while participating in moderate to high levels of physical activity including but not limited to standing, running, swimming, wading, walking, jumping, and bending. The employee occasionally lifts light and medium objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
Oversees a group of participants in the program.
- Must be seventeen (17) years of age or older.
- Experience in participating in a variety of recreational type activities, extracurricular activities at school, volunteering, and serving the community.
- College students desired.
- Must be able to work Monday – Friday from 7:00am-6:00pm for eight weeks. Special training events are required in the weeks prior to camp starting. Some overtime may be required.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Application Information: Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *