THe City of Fairburn has the following position available:
Salary: $48,006.40 to $51,958.40
STATUS: Full-time (FLSA Exempt Status)
SCHEDULE: Normal operating hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (schedule flexibility is available to accommodate needs of the City).
This is an exempt, salary position exercising independent judgement, under the supervision of the Director of Planning and Zoning, in the area of planning, zoning and development functions of the City, using appropriate methods commensurate with the difficulty or magnitude of the projects. The individual will work closely with the Director of Planning and Zoning, Community Development Director, elected officials, other City department personnel, and internal and external customers.
This position has a primary focus on providing superior customer service to the citizens and customers of the City of Fairburn in handling a variety of issues. Incumbents in this classification must maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations and may be assigned complex projects requiring independence of thought, initiative, and implementation.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities within the department.
- Assist with developing short- and long-range plans; gathers, helps with interpreting and preparing data for studies, reports and recommendations.
- Assist with administering the City's zoning, development, and landscape ordinances and GIS ArcView or similar software.
- Assist with coordinating the review of subdivision plans with developers, engineers, planning staff, other city employees, and the general public; prepare reports for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and other boards; record and maintain minutes of the Planning & Zoning Commission and other board proceedings.
- Update the City’s GIS system to reflect final plat and as-built plans.
- Manage the GIS database.
- Create and edit zoning, hazard and other special features maps and graphical representations.
- Coordinate with staff on all matters relating to GIS equipment, capabilities and services.
- Assist with the review and prepare zoning reports in conjunction with consultant support and other City employees; assist with the preparation of reports for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and various boards.
- Assist with the review of variance, zoning applications and concept and site plans for compliance with the zoning and other related ordinances; conduct on-site inspections as needed.
- Assist with providing administrative support to the Planning & Zoning Commission and other boards by preparing the agenda, meeting packets, and all correspondence; serve on staff committees as assigned.
- Assist with reviewing analyzing and interpret laws, rules, regulations and ordinances.
- Assist with drafting amendments to the zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations as required.
- Assist with ensuring land uses are located in proper zones and in compliance with zoning ordinances.
- Assist with coordinating with code enforcement staff to ensure that all signs are in compliance with construction, location, and setback requirements.
- Assist with preparing zoning verification and modification correspondence and answers public inquiries regarding zoning and subdivision issues.
- Advise the Director of Planning and Zoning on planning matters.
- Attend professional development workshops and conferences to stay current with community development trends.
- Assist with seeking out planning and development methods and means to improve the quality of development and quality of life in the community.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED; and
- Bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to city planning, architecture, or engineering; and
- Three (3) years of experience in the fields of municipal planning, zoning, and development review; ARC GIS experience (highly preferred).
- Grant writing and management experience (preferred).
- Possess a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Satisfy background screening.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and trends in planning, zoning, land use, and inspection.
- Strong knowledge and skill in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Power-point.
- Skill in preparing and delivering public presentations as well as written communication; correct English grammar, spelling,
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in the use of such office equipment as a calculator, copier, facsimile machine, and telephone.
- Ability to review site plans and subdivision plats.
- Ability to exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines.
- Ability be quickly become Knowledgeable of the City's zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and complete duties to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with individuals contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to advertise, promote and perform public relations activities.
- Ability to perform under reasonable levels of stress and in emergency situations.
- Ability to assist with writing professional reports and make professional presentations with a clear command of the language and subject matter.
- Ability to accurately analyze situations and professionally respond as necessary with solutions to problems and alternative
courses of action.
- Work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or standing for brief periods of time.
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Work is typically performed indoors in an office or business environment, with some exposure to the outside environment during site visits, inspections, or presentations and other associated events.
To apply for this position go to our website www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
This position will close on 04/16/2021