City of Brunswick
Job Title: Code Enforcement Officer
Department/Div: Planning, Development, & Codes
Reports to: Planning, Development, & Codes Director
This position is responsible for the enforcement of local codes and ordinances.
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints concerning municipal ordinance violations; patrols the city to identify such violations.
- Performs code violation inspections; takes photographs and collects other evidence; prepares inspection and case files.
- Reinspects properties to determine if corrective action has been taken.
- Issues notices of violations, cease and desist orders, citations, etc.; posts court orders, stop work orders, and other public notices.
- Prepares and presents cases in court.
- Educates stakeholders on applicable municipal codes and ordinances.
- Inspects rental unites to ensure compliance with the city’s Minimum Housing Standards and prepares related reports.
- Inspects business for appropriate and current tax occupation status.
- Investigates construction sites for proper permits.
- Inspects vacant and derelict structures; posts as unsafe/uninhabitable as appropriate.
- Maintains and provide case documentation in relation to open records requests.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws related to code enforcement, private property, record retention, and due process.
- Knowledge of municipal code enforcement principles.
- Knowledge of city ordinances, zoning laws, and regulations.
- Knowledge of the methods used in conducting and documenting field investigations.
- Knowledge of records management principles.
- Knowledge of modern office principles and practices.
- Skill in the use of computer and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include the City of Brunswick Code of Ordinances, adopted city codes, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related code enforcement duties. The diversity of situations encountered contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to enforce city codes and ordinances. Success in this position ensures compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, business owners, property owners, representatives of law enforcement agencies, elected and appointed officials, court personnel, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems. or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while standing or walking. The employee occasionally lifts heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Associates degree required.
- More than four years of related experience required.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The City of Brunswick is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.