Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Rate of Pay: $31,487.40 - $52,898.83
The purpose of this classification is to assist in the collection of business license revenue, enforce business license code compliance for operating a business in the City Limits. Ensure compliance through appropriate action of written notices and other actions provided by the city’s ordinances. This position will process financial documentation/information, provide customer service, and maintain financial records relating to an assigned function.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist with the processing new and renewal business occupational tax applications
- Assist businesses with data to determine if the gross receipts they are reporting are attributed to sales within the City.
- Processes a variety of documentation associated with financial operations of an assigned function, within designated timeframes and per established procedures.
- Performs customer service functions by telephone, by mail, or in person; provides information/assistance regarding City services, procedures, documentation, fees, or other issues; distributes, processes, and/or assists customers with completion of various forms/documentation; responds to routine questions/complaints and initiates problem resolution.
- Performs data entry functions by keying data into computer system; enters, retrieves, reviews, or modifies data in computer database; verifies accuracy of entered data and makes corrections.
- Assist with providing customer service to customers regarding rules, regulations and laws governing the business license process.
- Will assist with the daily close out and balances cash drawers; prepares bank deposits or forwards revenues as appropriate; conducts research associated with payments as needed; prepares various reports/records; makes bank deposit runs if needed.
- Processes documentation pertaining to the billing and customer account activities; answers questions regarding customer accounts, charges/payments, due dates, or other information; updates information on accounts as needed; prepares and mails bills and late notices as it relates to business licensing, receives payments on accounts; posts payments and adjustments to customer accounts if applicable; reconciles accounts and payments; generates various reports.
- Processes documentation pertaining to business licenses; provides information regarding business licenses, required documentation, and procedures; reviews completed business license applications; forwards routing sheets for approval; types approved business licenses and enters data into computer; balances computer reports to verify accuracy of data entry; notifies applicants of applicable license fees; receives payments from applicants and issues licenses; forwards revenues as appropriate.
- Processes incoming/outgoing mail; sorts, opens, and/or distributes incoming mail; processes outgoing mail; transports mail to/from post office as needed.
- Performs a variety of general accounting/bookkeeping functions, such as preparing journal entries, balancing cash, balancing bank accounts, calculating data, entering/posting financial data, balancing/reconciling reports, researching financial discrepancies, correcting data errors, maintaining financial records, generating reports, or submitting mandatory reports.
- Provides documentation, records, or other assistance to internal/external auditors as required.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, lists, logs, bills, delinquent notices, checks, vendor records, account records, aging reports, balance sheets, budget reports, audit reports, or other documents.
- Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, payments, invoices, court orders, business license applications, accounting guidelines, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, manuals, charts, directories, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards, or retains as appropriate.
- Operates a personal computer, postage machine, cash register, general office equipment, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, Internet, or other computer programs; performs basic maintenance of computer system and office equipment, such as backing up data or replacing paper, ink, or toner.
- Monitors inventory of department equipment, supplies, forms, or other materials; ensures availability of adequate materials to conduct work activities; initiates requests for new/replacement items.
- Maintains file system of department files/records; prepares and sets up files; reviews, sorts and organizes documents to be filed; files documents in designated order; retrieves/replaces files; boxes/packages obsolete documentation for storage.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, court officials, law enforcement personnel, vendors, customers, the public, government agencies, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Maintains confidentiality of departmental issues and documentation.
- Performs notarization of documents as needed.
- Performs general/clerical tasks, which may include answering telephone calls, typing documents, making copies, or sending/receiving faxes.
- Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent; and two (2) years of related experience in working with business licenses, accounts receivables, billing, office administration, customer service, and personal computer operations, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
May require possession and maintenance of valid State of Georgia Notary Public certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to determine, calculate, tabulate, and/or summarize data; ability to perform subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the business license application in accordance with procedures and standards set forth.
- Ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems; ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; ability to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
The work is sedentary which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Mental Acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Visual Acuity: Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
Work may be performed with exposure to adverse environmental condition, such as rude/irate customers.