Pay Grade: 105
Job Code: TBD
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This person in this position is responsible for operating a sanitation truck to collect refuse along assigned residential routes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates a sanitation truck to collect refuse along assigned residential routes;
- Collects and disposes of debris, trash, etc., on job site;
- Oversees the work of refuse collectors;
- Maintains good public relations with customers;
- Collects fees in the form of checks or money orders for special pickups as necessary;
- Performs daily vehicle and equipment inspections used on the job; documents and reports missing equipment and/or needed repairs;
- Checks and maintains equipment and trucks;
- Assists the Public Services department as needed;
- May be required for after-hours work and events as needed;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires High School diploma three (3) years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions associated with operation of equipment;
- Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of State Motor Vehicles Laws;
- Knowledge of geographical layout of the City;
- Skilled in proper operation and basic repair of machinery and trucks used in assigned section;
- Ability to recognize hazardous materials and situations and respond according to training and City policies and procedures;
- Ability to operate equipment and perform duties under a variety of weather conditions;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and the general public.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Georgia CLASS “B” CDL Driver’s License
The work is light work and requires balancing, grasping, handling, hearing, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Incumbent spends part of the time working in an environment where errors on the incumbent’s part can lead to significant physical or mental consequences for themselves or others.