POSITION TITLE: Human Resources Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Human Resourcs
FLSA STATUS: Fulltime - Exempt
At Union City, we are guided by our mission and vision, to proudly promote community growth with municipal services and programs, and to make bold, visionary plans to push toward the future. We do this by having the right people in the right place and by creating a culture of service and execution. Make a difference where it counts by joining our team!
As part of our team, members benefit from alternative work schedules, in-house training programs, clearly defined career paths, on-going development opportunities, and a competitive benefits package, just to name a few.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- While performing any procedure, all associates and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
- Assists internal and external customers.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work independently and within a team environment in a fast paced changing atmosphere.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains confidentiality of work related issues and City Information.
- Support HR Director with wellness and employee engagement initiatives and serves as point of contact.
- Manage and update the UC Heartbeat Monthly Newsletter
- Serves as first point of contact for Human Resources, including heavy call volume
- Maintains the City employee directory.
- Provide various administrative functions for the department including but not limited to order supplies and scanning documents.
- Submit pothole claims from Public Service to claims administrator.
- Composes, proofreads, and types correspondence, memoranda, reports, and presentations.
- Maintain various departmental spreadsheets.
- Assist with monitoring time and attendance system and coordinate with city departments.
- Maintain personnel files, documents and archive documents in accordance to the retention schedule and HR policies and procedures.
- Assist in new hire process; application tracking, prepare employee benefits and new hire packets, set up interview, set up drug screening, route paperwork for background checks, psych tests, signatures and note progress.
- Provide follow up to assignments and weekly and monthly status reports to the HR Director.
- Receive and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; review and evaluate mail to identify those items requiring priority attention.
- Perform customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Assist with the payment of department invoices
- Attends meetings and seminars
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support for front desk as needed.
- Route Employee Action Forms and other documentation as necessary
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent must be able to work with confidential information all-the-while maintaining a keen attention to the detail. Incumbent operates independently but results are monitored by the Human Resource Director. Content of work priorities are largely self determined.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma required
- Minimum of 2 years of administrative and human resource experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in Human Resources preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel) is preferred
- Awareness of federal, state, and local laws and regulations that impact human resources and the employment relationship
- Proficient with payroll processing systems preferred
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects, use time management skills and independent judgment
- Performs administrative duties in the City’s Human Resource Department, including filing documents, answering phones, maintaining calendars, travel arrangements, scanning documents, organizing files.
- Assists internal and external customers,
- Must be have demonstrated the ability to work independently and within a team environment in a fast paced every changing atmosphere.
For prompt consideration, send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org