Environmental Compliance Specialist UTIL/6
This position performs administrative and some technical duties in the oversight of the city’s water, gas, sewer, permits, distribution operator, waste water treatment operator, water treatment operator, gas technician licensing requirements and compliance standards from the Public Service Commission (PSC) and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD). In addition, this position will ensure all contracts for water, gas, and sewer follow federal, state, and city procurement and purchasing standards. This position reports directly to the Water Resources and Public Works Director.
- Review permits and contracts for accuracy
- Review compliance standards for water, gas, sewer, and advise on procedures to stay complaint
- Review licensing requirements for operators/ technicians and advise department heads accordingly
- Review water gas and sewer contracts for accuracy and quality and advise department heads accordingly
- Develop and maintain a permit database listing of all permits applicable for environmental and safety compliance with applicable fees and due dates of payable fees
- Monitor expenditures for each department ensuring they follow correct procurement protocol per federal, state, and local standards.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Programs and applicable state and federal regulations as they relate to water, sewer, and gas.
- Excellent knowledge of environmental and safety compliance standards as they relate to water, sewer, and gas
- Knowledge of Utility Billing systems such as water gas and sewer
- Skill in developing spreadsheets using excel and related programs
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Can learn and use administrative programs related to Utility billing and Procurement and is knowledgeable of local, state, and federal procurement regulations
The Water Resources and Public Works Director assigns work in terms of general and specific instructions and will advise and spot-check completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the results.
Guidelines include the employee handbook and all EPD and Gas compliance standards per State and EPA regulations. Additional guidelines will be the Occupational Safety and Health Administrations (OSHA) manual 29 CFR 1926. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related administrative duties related to the position. Administrative complexity is based on the programs associated with duties assigned.
- The purpose of this position is to perform administrative and technical duties in the oversight of Social Circle’s Utility Compliance Standards ensuring they meet PSC and EPD compliance standards. Successful performance provides increased health and safety standards to the public by improving quality of service and a higher standard of living.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, department heads, state and local agencies and members of the public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee is required to have good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to research, understand, and read applicable regulations.
- This position requires occasional trips to the water treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant, regulatory offices, and other required utility sites as needed.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with college coursework in the environmental field and safety field
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia.
How to Apply:
Resumes, with cover letter including reason for interest in position, may be submitted by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or in person: City of Social Circle
Attn: Teresa Duval
PO Box 310
166 N. Cherokee Road
Social Circle, GA 30025
Resumes should include at least three (3) professional references.
End Date: Until Filled