CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Strategy Analyst
PURPOSE OF CLASSIFICATION
The purpose of this classification is to provide strategic planning and problem-solving support to the County, as part of the strategic projects within the Office of Performance Management. The Strategy Analyst will utilize data to provide support for strategy formulation, business development, and forecasting to the County’s strategic plan, and create buy-in through partnerships to help the County make informed decisions, address key challenges, and identify new ways to grow by determining the overall direction it should take to actualize its goals. Strategy Analyst will work closely with department heads to create annual goals and objectives of each department.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provide, communicate, and implement strategy to address competition, changes in customer preference, and improvements in technology and service delivery
- Undertake market analysis/modeling, portfolio metric reporting, and operational support related to the County’s strategy
- Provide analytical support to all aspects of the deal negotiation process
- Perform strategic analysis and modeling
- Responsible for collaborating with finance to conduct strategic planning and analysis of large datasets to assess the clinical, operational, and financial performance of existing service and integrated programs and departments
- Provide further insight into the County’s overall strategy by identifying critical questions performing ad-hoc analyses
- Provide operational insights to achieve key performance indicators
- Summarize insights from analysis and clearly communicate analytical findings in a cohesive story; and articulate an argument to be presented to executives
- Responsible for building appropriate external and internal client-facing materials
- Identify, communicate, and execute on new opportunities related to the county’s businesses functions
- Provide leadership to teams and cross-functional teams on the execution of an implementation, work plan, or other strategic initiative.
- Engage closely with staff across the County who are responsible for planning and implementing change, provide problem-solving support, and facilitate decision-making and consensus-building as part of a team
- Personally drive specific components of a problem as part of a team, generating critical insights and tailoring and delivering effective communications to drive change, through the proactive solicitation and use of information, judgment, problem-solving methodologies and sector knowledge
- Proactively pursue sources of data and insight needed to complete analysis and ensure pace of progress and quality of analysis are maintained in line with the expectations of the supervisor and manager
- Collaborate closely and regularly with departments to align on work planning, iterate on solutions and find workarounds as needed
- Contribute effectively to the work-streams of others on the team as required, and to solving the broader problem being solved by the team as a whole, through full-team problem-solving
- Closely manage progress against objectives, highlighting roadblocks as soon as they arise and taking full personal ownership for high-quality timely delivery
- Give and receive regular developmental feedback and contribute actively to creating a positive, focused and effective team environment
- Adopt a learning mindset and take personal responsibility for continuous performance improvement, and for supporting the ongoing growth and success of the strategic projects against its broader objectives
- Knowledge: Must possess advanced knowledge of data management and data manipulation. They also require a proven history of implementing and executing business ideas, as well as programming experience
- Communication skills: Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to clearly articulate the insights from findings to management and relevant stakeholders
- Problem-solving skills: Must be intellectually curious individuals with strong creative and imaginative prowess to generate ideas to solve business problems
- Critical thinking: Require strong critical thinking abilities to draw sound conclusions from information and various data sources at their disposal. It is crucial that they can separate relevant information from less vital ones with respect to solving a particular business problem. They must also have the capacity to analyze data objectively, applying logical thought and proffering solutions, taking a long-term perspective
- Strong quantitative and financial modeling skills: It is important that they can work with large data sets to provide analytical support to all aspects of the business.
- Comfort with ambiguity: Decision making involves some level of uncertainty, so it is important that applicants are comfortable with ambiguity
- Computer skills: Applicants should possess advanced excel skills and be proficient in PowerPoint for presentation purposes
- Collaborative skills: They must be able to work with cross-functional teams and have the maturity to interact directly with senior executives across departments, as well as provide leadership to teams on the implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with demonstrated high performance
- Exceptional analytical skills
- A results-driven approach to work, proven personal initiative and an ability to work proactively and with a strong sense of urgency
- A strong focus on personal growth and development, and a willingness to regularly receive and act on performance feedback in pursuit of continuous professional growth
- Resilience in response to setbacks, and an ability to anticipate and overcome barriers to success
- A natural talent for evidence-based problem-solving, and a willingness to develop problem-solving skills
- A credible presence and strong ability to communicate with senior leaders
- Capability to manage and make progress against multiple simultaneous demands in short time frames, and to adapt to new challenges in a dynamic context with shifting priorities
- Ability to respond proactively and positively to ambiguity
- High level of comfort with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Experience in management consulting
- Professional experience in another highly analytic role
- Experience in a local government or development organization, or similar
- Experience interacting and communicating effectively with members of a complex organization at multiple levels
- A Master’s degree or equivalent, with demonstrated high performance
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, depth, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, machinery, vibrations or electric currents.
Clayton County, Georgia, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.