This position is responsible for assisting with core financial functions and administration of the Finance department. Duties may include assistance with preparation, payroll, accounts payable, internal auditing, and financial record keeping.
PAYROLL & HUMAN RESOURCE FUNCTIONS:
- Receives timesheets from department heads to process bi-weekly employee payroll and monthly elected official payroll. Prepare and process payroll deductions for vendors in accordance too standard payroll policies and practices.
- Prepare required Federal and State of Georgia payroll tax returns. Prepare W-2 forms and year end reports. Prepares and reconciles the quarterly and annual compliance reports. Works with Accounting Manager to accurately maintain employee file data. Ensure all payroll transactions are posted to the general ledger.
- Manage the human resource health, dental, vision and supplemental insurance enrollment for employees annually and as required.
- Process employee FSA reimbursement requests.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains the accounts payable function. Process department purchases orders and input invoices into the financial system to generate checks to disburse to vendors for payment.
- Responsible for vendor set-up. Must ensure that all vendors have a W-9 on file and contractors who work for the City have workers compensation and/or liability documentation on file.
- Verifies that expenditures follow the policies of the City for purchasing and travel and ensures that expenditures are recorded against the appropriate accounts and follow GAAP guidelines.
- Audits purchases and request for materials more than the dollar amount set forth by the City.
- Works closely with the City Departments/employees to ensure items are received as ordered, invoices match purchase orders and packing slips prior to input.
- Reviews and audits telephone, electric and gas billing for errors and allocates charges among the benefiting departments.
- Processes payables from original source documents, provides backup detail for all monies disbursed. Inputs all required data from completed documentation to produce accurate check for payment of services and supplies.
- Maintains source document files, data records and reports for the year end audit; to include invoices paid, requisitions, purchase orders, and packing slips received from department heads.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers to control accounts.
- Prepares monthly management reports as requested.
- Oversees Surplus Auctions
OTHER ACCOUNTING FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains additions and removals in the capital asset schedule, documents and maintains a permanent file for each item.
- Responsible for the property & liability insurance equipment list and any additions or deletions as items are purchased or sold.
- Prepares and reviews monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as directed by the Finance Director.
- Assists the Finance Director as instructed in explaining and enforcing City policies and procedures regarding finances.
- Provides information to the independent auditors in the annual audit of City financial transactions as instructed.
- Assists the public and other employees by telephone, radio or in person.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, necessary or required.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Public accounting, utility accounting, fixed assets accounting, finance, budgeting and auditing principles, procedures, and techniques.
- Principles and practices of public financial administration, including budget preparation.
- Statistical methods, techniques and financial report preparation.
- Computerized financial system design and analysis
- Principles and practices of fund investing procedures and cash management.
- Administrative practices and principles including goal setting, program budget development and implementation.
- City ordinances, City investment policies and bond agreement, property tax allocation, sales and use tax, Federal and State payroll taxes and laws governing local government.
- General office procedure, policies and equipment; and groups.
- Must be able effectively work with staff and public.
- Must be able to communicate both verbally and in writing.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: This position is under the direct supervision of the Finance Director.
GUIDELINES: This position uses the City Personnel Rules & Regulations, Comprehensive Safety & Loss Prevention Control Program, City Charter, Ordinances; Local, State and Federal Laws (including IRS regulations); recognized audit, payroll, and accounting guidelines and regulations as references.
COMPLEXITY: This employee is required to learn and understand information from routine to very complex, involving the need for extensive research, decisions considering many different sources, and detailed communication. Employees in this position must be able to make independent responsible judgments quickly and accurately. This position must be able to maintain calm in emergency situations and maintain confidentiality.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable, functional, financial, structural, or compositional characteristics of data, people, or things.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts will be with City employees, Department Heads/Managers, City Manager, occasionally Mayor and Council, financial institutions, vendors, contractors, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. This position must be able to listen, instruct, direct, and persuade contacts. They must be adaptable to performing in stressful situations when confronted with contingency and/or non-routine situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position must be able to work sitting, walking, standing, bending, stooping, pushing, or pulling, for both short and long periods of time. This position must be able to work at a computer, reading and interpreting reports and procedures and be able to talk/listen on the phone or equivalent devices.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This work is typically performed while sitting at a desk listening, typing and talking on the phone with intermittent standing, walking, bending. This position may be exposed to inclement weather and construction sites while doing field work.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position may supervisory responsibilities over Financial staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and experience preferred in municipal and\or County government, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two (3) years experience in a City or County General Accounting position (no exceptions)
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License
- Acceptable Motor Vehicle Report (3 years)
- CPA Certification, preferred but not required