POSITION TITLE: Executive Administrative Assistant
DEPARTMENT: City Manager
FLSA STATUS: Fulltime - Exempt
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- While performing any procedure, all associates and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess incoming communications from constituencies to the City Manager’s Office (including telephone calls and e-mail messages) and using independent judgment to determine the communications requiring priority attention. Facilitate appropriate and timely responses and ensure satisfactory closure is achieved.
- Liaison with City Departments to conduct research and secure timely resolution of a wide variety of citizen problems and concerns
- Prioritize, channel, and facilitate communication from department heads, and department coordinators through the City Manager’s office. Ensure appropriate and timely responses are provided by following up as needed.
- Review and research statistical and administrative information as needed for the City Manager’s Office
- Manage purchasing activities for the City Manager’s Office. Prepare and process requisitions and gather quotes for submittal to the City’s Finance Department
- Research and analyze projects; Write after action reports; Assist with monitoring projects including timelines and deliverables; Brief City Manager’s Office accordingly
- Review finished materials for completeness, accuracy, format, compliance with policies and procedures, and appropriate English usage
- Assist in supporting a variety of operations based projects. Perform a wide variety of executive secretarial and administrative duties as required by daily operations in the City Manager’s Office.
- Using current computer software programs to prepare drafts of documents and finished
documents, reviewing finished materials for completeness, accuracy, format, compliance with policies and procedures, and appropriate English usage
- Receive and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; review and evaluate mail to identify those items requiring priority attention
- Independently respond to letters and general correspondence of a high level to routine nature
- Attend meetings on behalf of the City Manager’s Office;
- Maintain appointment schedules and calendars for the City Manager’s Office; arrange meetings and conferences.
- Assemble background materials, prepare agendas, and record action
- Provide follow up to assignments given to management staff by the City Manager; provide status reports to the City Manager
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent operates fairly independently but results are monitored by the City Manager. Content of work priorities are largely self determined.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- 18 years of age.
- Five years of increasingly responsible administrative support work for management personnel. Experience in working for a Chief Executive Officer or top manager in an organization preferred.
- Associates Degree or equivalent experience required. Bachelor's degree preferred. .
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of municipal departments, their functions, and contact information; ability to learn policies, codes, regulations, and procedures.
- Exemplary customer satisfaction skills, including dealing effectively with the public, elected officials and City staff, both in person and over the telephone;
- Skill in operating modern office equipment; Microsoft Office to include Excel a must.
- Accurate in performing accurate typing (60wpm) and/or data-entry work.
- Proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation usage. Basic mathematical computations, accounting and record keeping.
- Ability to handle multiple interruptions and adjustments to priorities throughout the day.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents. Ability to write short correspondence.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Equipment and Applications
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Designated software applications.
- Telephones, copiers and other office equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the associate is:
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low
For prompt consideration, send resumes to email@example.com