Job Summary: This position is responsible for the skilled, licensed work in the operation of the wastewater laboratory. Work involves performing numerous tests as required by permit or process control at both wastewater treatment plants, ensuring quality control, consulting with outside laboratories, performing administrative functions, and ensuring the lab is clean and sanitary. Other duties include the assistance with operations and maintenance of the wastewater treatment facilities as necessary, as well as on-call duties as assigned.
- Performs laboratory tests of wastewater including, but not limited to: total suspended solids (TSS), biological oxygen demand (BOD), fecal coliform, total phosphorus, ortho-phosphorus, and ammonia
- Performs quality control tests by running blanks, spikes, duplicates, and test standards, keeps accurate documentation of all quality control testing
- Coordinates with outside laboratories as needed to complete required testing, collects and preserves samples for shipping or delivery to other labs, and monitors results received from these labs
- Performs annual testing to insure the lab maintains proper certification
- Plans and organizes work to be done, establishes priorities, and completes work efficiently
- Cleans, and maintains the lab and laboratory equipment
- Maintains inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment to insure supplies are available
- Attends classes required to maintain knowledge of current procedures and as required by the wastewater laboratory analyst certification
- Keeps the plant manager informed of all test results and noticeable trends
- May operate city vehicles and equipment to perform job duties
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations; ability to recognize hazards in the facility & use proper safety precautions
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures required to complete testing as required in permits
- Knowledge of NPDES permit limits on all tests performed
- Knowledge of proper calibration and maintenance of all equipment used in the lab
- Ability to detect changes that could affect operation of the wastewater plants, and to notify management of these changes
- Ability to complete required testing and to meet deadlines
- Ability to accurately perform lab tests and understand the results and how they affect plant operations
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to perform general maintenance duties
Supervisory Controls: Work is performed under supervision of the Wastewater Plant Manager.
Guidelines: Guidelines include Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures pertaining to wastewater treatment and laboratory.
Complexity: The work consists of wastewater laboratory operation and maintenance tasks.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to provide quality operation of the wastewater laboratory to insure compliance with the NPDES permits.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are outside laboratories, EPD inspectors, and coworkers, and supervisors.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically accessed to exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed with the employee intermittently sitting, standing, walking, and bending, crouching or stooping. The ability to distinguish between shades of color is also necessary when performing laboratory analysis.
Work Environment: Wastewater plant environment, working in a laboratory, and working outdoors in inclement weather.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Possession of a current Georgia Wastewater Laboratory Analysis License
- Possession of a Georgia Class III Wastewater Operators License or higher preferred.
- Minimum of two years experience in wastewater laboratory analysis
- Will consider combination of education, experience, and licensure.