POSITION TITLE: Accounting Manager
FLSA STATUS: Fulltime - Exempt
At Union City, we are guided by our mission and vision, to proudly promote community growth with municipal services and programs, and to make bold, visionary plans to push toward the future. We do this by having the right people in the right place and by creating a culture of service and execution. Make a difference where it counts by joining our team!
As part of our team, members benefit from alternative work schedules, in-house training programs, clearly defined career paths, on-going development opportunities, and a competitive benefits package, just to name a few.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- While performing any procedure, all associates and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and develops staff by developing individual performance objectives, reviewing work products, providing feedback on performance, ensuring that team members receive the proper training, and motivating and rewarding team for meeting expectations.
- Oversees accounts payable, fixed/capital assets, accounts receivable, retirement and bank reconciliations/cash management.
- Creates, monitor and track expenses and budget line items.
- Assists the Comptroller in the preparation of Policies and Procedures, and Department Goals and Objectives; trains staff.
- Assists Comptroller in managing the external audit, reviewing and preparing work papers and schedules for the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, producing and distributing the CAFR and all external financial reports, and other internal financial reports
- Provides accounting support by preparing revenue and expense reports with spreadsheets, checks, reconciliations of bank statements, cash balance reports, adjusting and closing ledger entries, reconciling subsidiary accounts, approving payroll and collections.
- Assists in Implementing and monitoring automated accounting systems, accounting procedures and internal controls by developing workflow processes to ensure compliance with internal controls, updating software to ensure efficiency and working with both city and independent auditors to ensure compliance.
- Manages and participates with independent auditors in annual audit of City financial transactions.
- Provides direction and assistance to department staff and departments in the preparation and presentation of the City’s annual budget, five –year capital improvements program, financial audit reports, revenue administration and treasury management, and implementation of auditor recommendations;
- Assists in the development of the annual operating budget.
- Prepares and reviews monthly, quarterly and annual balance sheets and schedule of revenues and expenditures.
- Reviews the general ledger system for proper entries and compliance with state and federal regulations; prepares necessary reports;
- Implements and installs all changes to financial reporting system, as required;
- Approves bank reconciliations; invoices, and journal entries.
- Prepares and submit necessary budget adjustments.
- Secures and evaluates the validity of performance, bid, and payment bonds as required for public works contracts; assists in the development of public works contracts;
- Maintains accounting system controls;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent operates independently but results are monitored by the Comptroller. Content of work priorities are largely self-determined.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a closely related field
- Five years of Governmental professional level accounting experience
- One to Two Years of Supervisory Experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of:
- Preparing complex Bank reconciliations
- Operate a computer and a variety of word processing, spreadsheet and software applications, including financial and accounting programs.
- General Ledger Maintenance and Analysis
- Standard accounting practices, principles and procedures
- Application of accounting principles and practices to governmental agency transactions, such as revenue, debt, accounts receivable, expense accounting, and payroll.
- Principles and practices of budgeting, revenue forecasting and investing.
- General laws and rules regulating the fiscal operation of a governmental agency.
- Make sound decisions within established guidelines.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Effectively organize assigned tasks and work within deadlines.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Seven Years of municipal government accounting experience.
- Master Degree in Accounting, Business administration, or Finance
- 3 Years Supervisor Experience
Equipment and Applications
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Designated software applications
- Telephones, copiers and other office equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the associate is:
- Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination when using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision when reading and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service.
- The need to lift, push and pull files, paper and documents weighing up to 25 pounds also is required.
- Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
For prompt consideration, send resumes to email@example.com