The City of Palmetto Police Department is currently accepting applications for certified Police Officers.
100% City-Paid Employee Medical Insurance
Family Coverage Insurance available (70/30)
Dental Insurance Options
Vacation Leave, Holidays, and Sick Leave
City-Paid POAB Fund
Job Summary: This position is responsible for maintaining law and order and protecting property in the City by investigating criminal activity and patrolling the City of Palmetto.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Responds to calls for assistance, disturbance calls, and complaints of crimes; enforces Federal, State, and local laws by performing warrant, felony, or misdemeanor arrests; implements physical confrontation when necessary; protects the civil rights of persons in custody.
- Enforces traffic and parking laws through the issuance of citations and warnings; routinely inspects roadways, bridges, and traffic signals and signs to find and report any hazardous conditions;
- Serves and executes criminal and traffic warrants on felony and misdemeanor suspects;
- Performs business and residential security checks; checks building doors, windows, gates, and fences to ensure building/home is secured;
- Investigates traffic accidents by establishing point of impact, interviewing witnesses, and collecting, preserving, and packaging evidence; detects drunk drivers and performs sobriety evaluations; books DUI suspects;
- Secures and protects crime scene by establishing boundaries, detaining victims, suspects, and witnesses, locating and identifying evidence, and briefing supervisors and investigators on their arrival;
- Serves as first‑responder to provide aid and assistance to victims of traffic and other accidents, assists fire and emergency medical services in treating and transporting victims;
- Prepares and maintains a wide variety of departmental records and reports in compliance with departmental and legal policies and procedures; prepares and files thorough written case reports;
- Gives advice on laws, ordinances, and general information to the public; renders advice on domestic disturbances, assists citizens in need;
- Maintains assigned uniform, vehicle, and equipment in accordance with departmental policy and procedures;
- Presents evidence and testimony in courts of law; assists in prosecuting felony and misdemeanor cases;
- Assists stranded motorists, directs traffic when necessary; escorts special processions; transports prisoners to jail.
- Participates in departmental training program;
- Participates in community relation’s projects as required;
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge of law enforcement concepts and terminology, including criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; first-aid principles and techniques; report preparation and record keeping; and human behavior theories related to criminology, crisis intervention and crowd control;
- Knowledge of laws and court decisions pertaining to law enforcement, including search and seizure, suspects’ and prisoners’ rights, and custody and protection of evidence; operational principles and practices of criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; court and trial procedures;
- Knowledge of the use and effects of law enforcement weapons; methods of self-defense and physical restraint;
- Knowledge of the Police Department’s policies and procedures; geographic layout of City; vocabulary of technical/specialized fields of law enforcement such as identification, detention and pathology;
- Skill in learning, interpreting, applying and explaining complex laws and regulations; reading and interpreting documents such as maps and diagrams;
- Skill in performing accurate mathematical calculations; comprehending and retaining factual information and applying what is learned;
- Skill in observing and remembering details of events, names, faces, numbers and physical descriptions; preparing and maintaining clear, accurate and concise reports and files;
- Skill in communicating effectively in both verbal and written form; exercising tact, self-restraint, judgment and strategy in dealing with people of all races, ethnicities and socio-economic groups and who may have emotional or physical difficulties;
- Skill in exercising sound independent judgment in emergency or stressful situations; correctly interpreting a given situation and taking appropriate action under a variety of conditions;
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies;
- Ability to operate the computer and various programs;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Ability to gather, assemble, analyze and evaluate facts and evidence and to draw sound conclusions; working ability to obtain valid information by interview and interrogation;
- Ability to work rotating shifts, varying hours and be on call.
: The Corporal or Sergeant assigns work in terms of departmental goals and objectives. The work is reviewed through reports and observation of activities.
: Guidelines include federal, state and local ordinances and regulations and departmental policies and procedures governing law enforcement action, including court procedures. These guidelines require sound judgment and interpretation in application.
The work involves performing various duties in protecting life and property and enhancing public safety in the City. The incumbent is required to perform varied duties including physical observation, simultaneous operation of vehicle and computer, processing reports and
interpersonal communication – often in adverse situations.
Scope and Effect:
The purpose of this position is to protect the public and ensure a safe environment within the City as well as surrounding communities. Successful implementation of the work results in a safer atmosphere and a decrease in citizen victimization.
Contacts are typically with other law enforcement officers, emergency personnel, citizens, victims, witnesses, defendants, judges, attorneys, other criminal justice agency employees, city employees and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts:
Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve conflicts, negotiate or settle matters and provide services and protection.
Visual acuity in both eyes, normal color vision; hear in-person, radio and telephone conversations; recognize differences or changes in sound patterns, loudness or pitch; speak audibly and clearly; identify and distinguish smells of different materials; sit or stand for prolonged periods; walk, run, kneel, stoop, crawl and crouch; make precise and coordinated finger, hand and limb movements; maintain uniform, controlled hand-arm posture or movement; push, pull or drag an adult (averaging 160 pounds); lift and carry boxes of evidence (average 50 pounds); use force to restrain/subdue others; work efficiently for long periods of time.
Work is performed either in an office environment or in a variety of field and office settings and may require exposure to dangerous and life-threatening situations. Must be willing to carry a firearm; mentally and physically capable of taking the life of another, if justified; willing to work any hour of the day or night (shift work), overtime, weekends, on call and holidays; work at any location in the City and travel on specific assignments.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate’s degree or two (2) years college coursework preferred; valid Georgia Driver’s license US citizen; at least 21 years of age; meet P.O.S.T. requirements for Peace Officer Certification and/or academy admittance pursuant to GA law; successful completion of the pre employment process which includes oral interview, background check, criminal records and traffic history check, medical and drug screening, polygraph evaluation, and/or voice stress, successful completion of Police Academy; clean P.O.S.T. record a must; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Submit completed application to:
Palmetto City Hall
Attn: Bryan Hergesell, Police Chief
P.O. Box 190, Palmetto, GA 30268
Starting Pay: $40,000.00
End Date for Applications:
Link to application: http://citypalmetto.com/DocumentCenter/View/18