General Nature of Work
This position, under the general supervision of the Director of Public Works, assists in the management, planning, organization and direction of management work in the Department of Public Works. Work requires exercise of considerable professional judgment and initiative within the framework of established regulations, policies, and Department Strategic Plan. In the absence of the Director of Public Works, this position may assume the duties of the department director when assigned.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist in the direction of operations, employees, programs, projects, and activities of the Public Services Office (which includes Streets, Storm Sewer Collection and Drainage, Fleet, Facilities Management and Special Programs), Environmental Services office (which includes Water, Sanitary Sewer Collection, Wastewater, and Solid Waste Collection contracts), Electric Distribution, Metering and Communications, Public Works Engineering, and Administrative Support.
- Assist and make recommendations for the preparation and implementation of the department’s budget, capital improvement plan, and City fleet management, consistent with standard operating procedures and department priorities.
- Research and prepare detailed management reports and conduct departmental analyses for various purposes, including intradepartmental, interdepartmental, City Council, outside regulatory agencies, contractors, consultants, vendors, the general public, etc.
- Suggest, analyze, and design departmental record keeping procedures to efficiently manage
- Assistant Director of Public Works, Public Works department records and utilize computer information system to maintain and effectively utilize department databases.
- Analyze and assist in designing departmental work processes, operations, and construction project approaches to continuously address effective and efficient service delivery.
- Develop, recommend, revise, and enforce organizational and departmental standard operating procedures including City policies, and safety rules and regulations.
- Participate and make recommendations in personnel matters including, but not limited to, interviewing and selecting employees, appraising productivity and efficiency of employees, reviewing performance evaluations completed by division managers of their subordinates and offering advice and assistance when necessary; and handling employee complaints.
- Assist in administering the union contracts, including addressing grievances and recommending discipline when necessary.
- Assist with the establishment of departmental priorities and the assignment of work to the appropriate division manager.
- Keep abreast of problems, circumstances, activities or events which may/will affect the
- department and keep the Director apprised of concerns.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to maintain a competitive purchasing process.
- Provide ongoing administration and oversight of various City contracts and agreements for which the Department is responsible.
- Review and respond to questions, comments, complaints and requests for service lodged by the general public and recommend, establish, and implement revisions to departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures where deemed appropriate.
- Assist in the determination of resources to be devoted to various needs on a short and long-term basis.
- Advise subordinates and supervisors on non-routine matters requiring special knowledge and/or expertise.
- Assist with the development, implementation, administration and enforcement of departmental emergency operation, policies, and procedures.
- Administer a comprehensive program of required and discretionary safety and skills enhancement and professional development training and other related activities.
- Prepare and assist in making presentations before the City Council, Council Committees and the Tree Commission on matters pertaining to the Department when assigned.
- Evaluate programs and projects for applications for grants.
Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices, laws, ordinances, and statues of Public Works administration.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods and procedures of Public Works, utility maintenance and repair, and of the types and uses of modern maintenance and related equipment, tools, and materials.
- Cross-functional knowledge in the areas of Finance and Human Resources as it relates to assisting with the management of the department.
- Effective leadership skills to efficiently organize, direct, and coordinate the activities, personnel, and equipment of a multi-functional Public Works department, including strong project management skills.
- Proficient knowledge in personal computer skills, electronic mail, record keeping, database activity, and word processing.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential material and information in an ethical, professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic mathematical calculations, including the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, and to compute percentages.
- Ability to function under general supervision and operate within policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives.
- Ability to develop work methods and procedures with initiative and good judgment and to use resourcefulness and tact in meeting new challenges.
- Ability and willingness to receive, handle, and complete confidential submissions, records, reports, and data with utmost honesty, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Ability to speak and communicate clearly in an office environment.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
- Ability to compose routine correspondence and routine reports in a clear, concise, logical, and effective manner, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, and tone.
- Ability to collect, logically organize, and analyze information, and make appropriate decisions or recommendations within scope of position responsibilities.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to accurately proofread and edit documents for correct grammar, spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, tone, and content.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, construction engineering, public administration, business or other field closely related.
- Master’s degree desirable.
- Eight (8) years of experience in the administration and management of a municipal public works department or closely related field.
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Individuals applying for the posted position must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.