The City Engineer is a new position for the City of Winder. The City needs an experienced engineer to be a resource to City staff, consultants, applicants, and elected officials to
- lead the development of a new in-house engineering department;
- direct the operations, maintenance, and planning of the City’s transportation network and road system;
- work closely with third party engineering contracts for transportation, utilities, and planning projects;
- assist Administration and the governing body with the development of long-term plans; and
- serve as a contributing member of the City’s Development Team ensuring that land disturbance activities and the built environment are developed in compliance with State and local codes and best practices;
Working under general direction of the Assistant City Administrator for Planning and Utilities, this position performs engineering review, contract preparation and oversight, and long-term planning for the City of Winder and manages the City’s transportation and roadway network.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
Our target candidate must have the skills, knowledge, and abilities as a well-rounded and experienced generalist with a project management background who can work effectively with contract engineers, construction professionals, team members, and elected officials. Candidate should have extensive knowledge of civil engineering to include work in land development, utilities, road design, and stormwater. The ideal candidate will be a team player, naturally collaborative, and willing to step in to do whatever is needed to assist the City in building this resource and ultimately a new department. The candidate must be self-directed and adapt at managing multiple projects and priorities. A positive, customer centric, getting to yes” mentality while adhering to all laws and regulations is required to successfully work with citizens, staff/team members, third party contract experts, consultants, and elected officials. Candidate must be affable in demeanor while also having a sense of gravitas to be able to communicate and work effectively with all parties. Excellent communication skills are required.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
- Possession of or ability to obtain Professional Engineer License within 18 months of hire.
- Possession of or ability to obtain Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission Level 1b and 2 within 18 months of hire.
- Valid Driver’s License and maintains a good driving record.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, public administration, project management or a closely related field with coursework in civil engineering and experience in site development plan review, road construction/maintenance, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a related-engineering field; or equivalent training, education, and/or experience required.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- A citizen of the United States or has obtained legal work status.
- Must be able to pass a detailed background investigation.
- Must be able to pass a credit check.
ADDENDUM FOR THE City Engineer JOB APPLICATION:
To be considered for the City Engineer open position, you must complete the following below:
- Complete the Online Job Application
- Upload your Resume to your online job application (The position is open until filled).
Full-Time regular employees are eligible for the City's benefit package.
City Health Insurance Benefits Include:
- Health Insurance-CIGNA HRA
- Health Insurance- Cigna H.S.A.
- Dental – 100% paid by the City for Single Employee
- Flexible Spending Account- TASC
- Short Term Disability-AFLAC-100% City Paid
- Long Term Disability-AFLAC-100% City Paid
- Basic Life- AFLAC- 2.5 Times Base Annual Income City Paid
- Dependent Life- AFLAC- $5,000 for eligible spouse and $2,500 for each eligible child City Paid
- Voluntary Life-AFLAC
- Group Accident-AFLAC
- Group Cancer-AFLAC
- Group Critical Illness-AFLAC
- Wellness Rewards Program-Medical Participant
- Donating Sick Leave
- Education Assistance Program
- EAP Program. 6 counseling sessions per year
- Pay In Lieu of Vacation
- Paid Funeral Time Off. A total of 6 days of funeral leave per fiscal year
- 401 (a) Retirement Plan: City 3% Contribution at 90 days of service
- 457(b) Retirement Plan: City Matching at 90 days of service up to 3% if employee enrolls and contributes at least 3%