This position is responsible for coordinating the development and implementation of active adult activities and events.
Essential Job Duties
- Coordinates, implements, and directs active adult programing for 55+ including day and overnight trips, monthly luncheons, exercise classes, clubs, special events, etc.
- Recruits, trains, schedules, and supervises coaches, volunteers, instructors, etc.
- Coordinates and leads meetings with a variety of stakeholders.
- Prepares and administers program budgets; makes purchases and controls expenditures.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with a variety of external organizations, including schools, leagues, community groups, etc.
- Promotes and publicizes programs and activities.
- Maintains program files and records.
- Seeks program sponsorships and/or grant funding.
- Prepares a variety of program reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of recreation program and/or event management principles.
- Knowledge of budget management principles.
- Knowledge of marketing and public relations principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in planning.
- Skill in working with special populations.
- Skill in administering and delivering recreation and athletic programming.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Assistant Director – Recreation assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include sports and/or program rules and regulations and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of varied program coordination duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to coordinate assigned programming and/or events. Successful performance in this position contributes to the efficient and effective delivery of leisure services to area residents.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city personnel, volunteers, community leaders, vendors, program participants, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, and motivate persons.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while standing, while sitting at a desk or table, or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching, or walking. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, utilizes tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color. The employee may participate in leading athletic programs and activities.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, and grease.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position has direct supervision over assigned full- and part-time staff.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years’ experience or service.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *