POSITION/ JOB FAMILY: Communications Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Communications / Public Information
SALARY RANGE: $46,411 - $57,550 - $71,937
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Communications Director
A successful candidate will play an active role in the City of College Park’s existing operational success. The purpose of the position is to support the efficient operation of the assigned department through the coordination of a wide variety of administrative and clerical duties.
Independent judgment is required to identify, select and apply the most appropriate available guidelines and procedures as well as interpret precedents. This position is responsible for providing administrative support in the assigned department. Work involves supporting the department’s day-to-day internal and external communications needs. These functions include answering phones, creating promotional materials, writing press releases, updating the website, and organizing meetings and presentations.
- Provide day-to-day support on all aspects of executing the city’s internal and external communications.
- Understand the scope of major team projects and related processes to collaborate with, back up, and support other Communications team members, as needed.
- Coordinate with PR firm to edit writing and various forms of content – including memos, alerts, statements, articles, and web materials – to adhere to the city’s Marketing & Communications style guidelines, processes, and workflows.
- Draft content for the website, including news items and publications.
- Collaborate with the Communications team and the firm’s PR agency to compile metrics and format reports related to news mentions, awards, surveys, and recognitions.
- Post approved content on social media channels and LED screens.
- Assist with the development and execution of digital content, ad creation, and content calendar.
- Coordinate media coverage for events and develop great relations with the media.
- Addresses and resolves any problems that may arise with promotional content or distribution of materials.
- Create systems to make information gathering more efficient.
- Effectively deliver messaging to the public and media, and coordinate internal and external communication strategies.
- Plan, create, and distribute information through our social media platforms, and website.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation of general office equipment including calculator, computer keyboard, computer word processing or other programs, telephone, telephone console, or copy machine as required.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical and accounting procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow quickly and accurately oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and apply available guidelines to varied operational requirements, and to follow clearly stated oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate, meet, and deal with the public and employees in a pleasant, courteous manner.
- Ability to accurately record and transfer data from one source to another and to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to maintain alphabetical and chronological files.
- Ability to work independently without specific instructions.
- Must be able to use tact and courtesy in dealing with the public.
- Must be able to analyze and evaluate procedures and work processes and exercise appropriate judgment in establishing priorities and work methods.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships and deal effectively and courteously with others, to work independently and in team settings.
- Must be able to type or to use a personal computer with word processing and related software and to enter and retrieve information with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average weight up to fifty (50) pounds, standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified as essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree, with an emphasis in communications, public relations, or journalism preferred.
- Three (3) years of related experience; may be considered with three (3) or more years of proven professional relevant experience.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in communicating with diverse communities, and in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled.
Resumes will not be accepted without an application. You can obtain an application from the City’s website: www.collegeparkga.com.
The City of College Park is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.