DIRECTOR OF PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT - CITY OF RINCON, GA
NATURE OF WORK:
Responsible for the administering City’s Code of Ordinances, including the building codes, zoning, subdivision, tree ordinances, and all other ordinances adopted and/or enforced by the City. Responsible for planning activities and special projects for the city.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Serves as the Department Head of the Building and Zoning Department, establishing priorities, policies and procedures for the department.
- Coordinates and reviews both commercial and residential development to ensure compliance with Zoning Ordinance and Growth Management Code and city’s development regulations
- Prepares and oversees the annual budget for the Building and Zoning Department.
- Works closely with the City Attorney, including obtaining needed easements, Right-of-Way, deeds, Water and Sewer Agreements, and Development Agreements
- Develops, writes, and makes recommendations in regard to the Zoning Ordinance and Growth Management Code and other city ordinances
- Responsible for bid process for city projects and equipment, and analyzes responses and submittals
- Works with City Engineer and Public Works Director to develop, implement, and measure effectives of programs to encourage water and other natural resources conservation
- Responsible for ensuring the completion of all state and federally-mandated planning documents, to include the Comprehensive Plan, the Short-Term Work Update, Government Management Indicators Update, and the Water and Sewer Update
- Gathers and evaluates complex research data; develops reports and spreadsheets for department, City Manager, and City Council
- Coordinates city projects with the City Engineer
- Communicates building requirements of City to contractors/developers/general public
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of standard management and supervisory practices.
- Knowledge of community development and planning procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of county ordinances and regulations.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in interpreting complex information and in conveying it to others in an accurate, complete, and understandable manner.
- Skill in researching, interpreting, and compiling complex data and other information into a useful product.
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
Supervisory Controls: Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Mayor and City Council
Guidelines: Guidelines include City and departmental policies and procedures; City codes and ordinances and Federal, State and Local laws
Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture or closely related field with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in city planning and zoning activities or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position. Master’s Degree and AICP Certification are preferred.
Possession of a valid State of Georgia driver’s license (Class C) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) are required
The city of Rincon is an equal opportunity employer. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the city and requirements of the job change. Requirements included in this class specification are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
To apply, contact Kim Hesling, email@example.com or (912) 826.5745 extension 102. Please submit resume, application and support materials to firstname.lastname@example.org