The City of Norcross is looking for a full-time Parks & Recreation Field Team Leader. The purpose of this position is to supervise the day-to-day upkeep, cleaning, and maintenance of the City’s parks, the downtown area, and other services of the Parks and Recreation Department.
The incumbent in this position will maintain streets, natural areas, and parks. This includes duties such as maintaining and performing repairs, landscaping, and inspecting parks, facilities and city equipment on a regular basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises staff and community service to ensure the upkeep of all parks and athletic fields.
- Maintain and submit weekly/monthly reports and records as assigned.
- Maintains and performs repairs at City's parks, greenways, and natural areas.
- Maintains and performs repairs at areas within public spaces and landscaping around City facilities and the downtown district.
- Monitors and inspects parks, facilities and equipment on daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Operates and repairs equipment such as mowers, tractors, gator, weed eaters and a variety of hand and power tools.
- Performs field and grounds maintenance to recreational athletic facilities.
- Performs seasonal maintenance (winterizing) of plumbing along with routine cleaning and maintenance of restrooms and concession buildings.
- Operates, maintains, and repairs sports field turf/grass and irrigation systems.
- As assigned by the Parks and Recreation Superintendent, provide guidance to seasonal personnel such as summer camp, after school, maintenance, laborers, recreation, and community workers.
- Maintains City’s interactive splash pad, bird baths, and waterfall system
- Assigns community service workers with daily duties.
- Able to communicate with contractors for small and large moderate jobs
- Able to communicate and collaborate with event organizers during events
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- High School diploma or GED and one to three years of experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must comply with the U.S. Department of Transportation's Part 382 Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use and Testing Policy.
- Possession of a valid Georgia driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- CDL is preferred but not required.
- Possess, or be able to obtain within three months of employment, a Pool/Spa Operator certification.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Any other duties as assigned by Parks and Recreation Superintendent. Ability to be ‘on-call’ and respond quickly to emergencies and requests from management.
Scope and Impact:
The position has recurring work situations involving moderate degrees of discretion and customer service. The need for positivity, courteousness, efficiency and attention to detail is high. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of accepted programs and routines is high. Errors in judgment will waste resources and adversely impact performance. The content of work priorities is determined and verified by supervision. Successful performance helps ensure safe and attractive parks and a positive public image for the city.
Contact is typical with co-workers, other city employees, and the general public. The nature of the interaction is generally to provide and/or exchange information and provide services.
- Socially capable of communicating with the general public in a helpful, courteous, and professional manner.
- Knowledge of the rules, equipment, tools, and techniques of assigned activities.
- Ability to deal efficiently with groups and maintain discipline.
- Ability to develop and maintain good sportsmanship and good relations with the participants in the community.
- Knowledge of city and departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
- Skill in performing general equipment and maintenance duties.
- Skill in operating such vehicles and equipment as a dump truck, push and riding mower, weed-eater, chainsaw, and various hand tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a ‘field’ position and incumbents are frequently exposed to mild, moderate, and extreme weather conditions.
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear
- Occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- The noise level in the work environment is can be low, medium, or high.
Job Type: Full-time
Starting Salary 35,720.88 (minimum) up to 46,437.14 (midpoint) based upon qualifications/experience
Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest and updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org