CITY OF RIVERDALE
Equal Opportunity Employer
Position - Fire Training Offier
Department - Fire Services
Salary Range 51,570.90 - 78,470.36
Pay Grade - 20
FLSA Status - Exempt
Shift / Schedule - Varies
Application Expiration - 12/06/2020
Performs highly skilled professional work planning, coordinating, directing classroom orientation, and specialized practical training for Fire Fighter and EMS employees. Certified instructor in Basic Life Support (BLS), Advance Cardio Life Support (ACLS), EMT-I in accordance with National Registry, and performs other related duties as required.
- High School Diploma
- Four years of experience in Fire and EMS
- Two years of experience as a Fire Lieutenant, Fire Captain or Fire Training Assistant
- An associate degree in fire science may be substituted for one year of experience
- Certified as an Emergency Medical Technician according to the State of Georgia Standards and/or National Registry
- Must possess a valid Georgia driver's license
- NPQ Fire Officer 1
- EMS Level 2 Instructor
- NPQ Fire Instructor 1
- Successful completion of the National Fire Academy course entitled Executive Fire Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Administration or a related field
- Successful completion of National Fire Academy Certified Training Officer or Training Program Manager
- Safely supervises high risk emergency training evolutions, including but not limited to: live fire training, EMT training, and hazardous materials response training.
- Conducts long range training plans for the Department.
- Evaluates emergency operations and critiques to determine Department training requirements.
- Conducts effective training courses and seminars to management, supervisory and front-line Fire Department personnel.
- Approves of and develops training plans and specialized emergency training curriculum for the Department.
Maintains accurate and reliable training records documenting mandated training according to departmental and legal standards.
- Administers firefighter apprenticeship program, including monitoring course completions, and periodic testing.
- Overseas training and evaluation of firefighters, recruit firefighters, and firefighter applicants.
- Participates in the administration of testing procedures.
- Oversees evaluation of new and existing equipment and conducts research for developing concepts for the Fire Department.
- Participates in departmental, state, and national committees and organizations to ensure professional standards are known and adhered to by the department.
- Counsels employees on available training and educational opportunities.
- Prepares training unit budget and controls and monitors unit expenditures.
- Oversees the maintenance of the training unit physical plant including structures, grounds and reserve department equipment.
- May be assigned to assist at an emergency scene as sector or safety officer.
- May attend additional training and obtain certifications or levels of competency as directed by the Fire Chief.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Thorough knowledge of firefighting methods and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of adult learning principles.
- Considerable knowledge of fire hazards, fire prevention, and hazardous materials handling concepts and techniques.
- Knowledge of proper safety techniques when conducting hands-on training.
- Considerable administrative skills including the ability to plan and schedule the work of others.
- Considerable skill in conducting classroom instruction and in the usage of audio-visual aids.
Ability Required by the Position:
- Considerable ability to develop and administer valid and reliable training instruments that will promote transfer of training.
- Considerable ability to plan and organize the work of others.
- Considerable ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Considerable ability to promote and work with a diverse work force.
- Considerable leadership abilities to bring about effective team action.
- Working ability to prepare and administer budgets.
- Ability to market Department training programs to internal and external customers.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with general public in sometimes difficult and trying circumstances (Customer Service).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
- Ability to work accurately with detailed records and complex information.
- Ability to work independently.
- Work is performed under the direct supervision of Fire Chief.
- The employee uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
- The work is typically performed in an office setting or outside.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants may be required to complete the following: written exam, physical exam, drug screening, polygraph, and background investigation.
If you feel you qualify for the above position, and you meet the minimum requirements, you may complete an application at the Human Resource Office, 971 Wilson Road, Riverdale, GA 30296. Applications are available from 8:00 to 6:00 p.m., Monday – Thursday. Applications are also available on www.riverdalega.gov.