Department: Public Works
Salary: $44,081.86 per year
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position performs contract and project coordination duties.
Essential Job Duties
- Performs project management functions: Researches and assists with the management of multiple contractual capital projects from initial concept through final payment and project close-out.
- Obtaining quotes, request for information, qualification, & proposals from engineering and contractor organizations.
- Answering inbound phone calls & emails and creating work-orders.
- Prepares contracts for bid process.
- Prepares reports, spreadsheets, agendas, purchase-orders, and other documents; maintains related files and records.
- Coordinates and communicates with contractors, engineers, architects, and city, county, and state personnel.
- Assists in development and monitoring of Public Works Division capital outlay budget based on project requirements.
- Assists with construction and engineering contracts based on capital outlay budget for both bid-based and professional fee projects.
- Accepts, reviews, comments on, approves, and signs permits, site plans, and landscape plans.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of contract management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of municipal project management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of state bid laws.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, city ordinances, and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Assistant Public Works Director assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city and state purchasing policies, OSHA regulations, Georgia DOT, Cobb County DOT, the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, ADA regulations, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of varied project management duties. The unique nature of each project contributes to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to administer contracts and assist with managing capital projects. Successful performance contributes to the efficient and effective completion of capital projects in compliance with specifications and standards.
- Contacts are typically with co‑workers, other city employees, representatives of state and local governments, contractors, utility providers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, motivate persons, negotiate matters, resolve problems, and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold, hot or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of personal protective equipment such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of an undergraduate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *