Summary of Work:
Operation of heavy equipment vehicles, tools and other equipment to perform a range of general maintenance and special projects as required by the City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of a specific statement from the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Operate various automotive equipment and tools as needed.
- Exercises discretion in the performance of the work and regularly uses independent judgment.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications:
- Flexibility in working at multiple tasks. Substantive knowledge in general maintenance projects for numerous repair and service requests. Problem solving skills are very useful in the day-to-day fulfillment of the work assignments.
- Broad base of general maintenance and service knowledge in safety and accident prevention in the use and proficiency of operation of equipment, tools and vehicles.
- Trainable in the use of tools, equipment and vehicles used and operated by maintenance personnel. Dexterity and the capacity to lift a maximum of 50 pounds in the performance of the necessary tasks and projects are essential to the overall performance in this capacity. Such tools, equipment, and vehicles include: tractors, lawn mowers and various landscaping tools and equipment, as well as various shop power tools. Additionally, operation of heavy use vehicles is also required.
- Must be able to work effectively with the Mayor, City Council and professional staff members in City government.
- Must be able to function effectively in a work environment in which the employee is exposed to significant public scrutiny and be able to adequately and effectively address public questions and concerns as well as interact with members of the community.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Proficiency in the safe use, care and maintenance of such tools, equipment and vehicles.
- Dependable and strong work ethic is necessary to service the internal customers and residents of the City.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-50 pounds).
- Ability to communicate orally and to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, taste, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals.
- Performance of essential functions may require exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, smoke, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, fire, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, explosives, water hazards, disease, pathogenic substances, or rude/irate customers.
- In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable law, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the City.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Must have a valid Class B Commercial Drivers License
- Must be able to work various shifts which include working on weekends and holidays.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background investigation, to include but not limited to, a physical examination with drug screening and an oral interview.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Employment with the City of Doraville is at-will in accordance with Georgia law.
The City of Doraville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.