Salary Range: $75,897.64 - $94,877.33 DOE
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position includes administrative and highly technical work overseeing the day-to-day operation of the City’s Power Department. Work involves assisting the Power and Public Works Director with the overall efficiency and operation of the electric distribution system, for ensuring uniform practices and policies relating to the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment, wiring systems and meters, and assisting in the supervision of electrical construction, maintenance and meter reading personnel.
Essential Job Duties
- Works with the Director to implement programs and projects aimed at achieving departmental mission and long-term goals. Assists in the overall planning, organization and management aspects of utility operations, including general administration, budgeting, capital outlay, planning and policy development.
- Coordinates, supervises and evaluates programs, plans, services, staffing, equipment and infrastructure of the electrical systems.
- Acts as on-site department spokesperson and liaison, establishing and maintaining effective relationships with citizens, other employees, and other interests. Responds to public inquiries, investigates complaints, and initiates appropriate action.
- Trains and instructs employees on new and existing distribution lines and makes recommendations for repairs or changes.
- Works with crew supervisors to ensure coordinated work assignments and project planning related to the operation, maintenance and construction of the electric system.
- Implements safety awareness programming in accordance with departmental policy and City, State and federal guidelines. Instructs employees on safety standards, precautionary procedures and departmental policies and procedures.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Works with the Director to establish and implement well-defined emergency and contingency plans and procedures. Responds to utility emergencies as necessary.
- Ability to critically assess situations, solve problems, work effectively under stress, within deadlines, and in emergency situations.
- Oversees the organization and coordination of the hiring of all staff for electric and tree crews.
- Ability to utilize substation SCADA system and other systems as related to Power infrastructure management.
- Responds to customer service requests and complaints.
- Serves as a member of various employee committees.
- Attends meetings, trainings and represents the City on trade and utility associations as required.
- Represent the City of Acworth at public events as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, materials, and equipment involved in the construction, maintenance, and repair of electrical infrastructure.
- Knowledge of underground, overhead, and substation distribution design principles.
- Knowledge of load management principles.
- Knowledge of electrical metering.
- Knowledge of city electrical specifications.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Skill in utilizing specialized tools and equipment related to the construction, repair, and maintenance of electrical infrastructure.
- Skill in the training and supervision of personnel.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job-related software programs such as but not limited to Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Acrobat/Reader, AutoCAD, other related finance and work order software’s.
- Skill in reading and interpreting technical papers, codes, and handbooks.
- Skill in evaluating plans, policies, procedures, and products.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of all safety guidelines as it relates to working with high voltage electrical lines.
The Electric Superintendent assigns work in terms of division goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of division activities.
Guidelines include Electric Cities of Georgia specifications, the American Public Power Association Safety Manual, NESC code, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of varied management, supervisory and technical duties. The variety of tasks to be supervised combined with the need to respond of unforeseen and changing conditions contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist the director in managing the city’s power operations. Successful performance helps ensure the efficient and effective delivery of electric services to customers.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, vendors, consultants, contractors, representatives of other agencies, safety inspectors, state and local officials, elected and appointed officials and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, motivate or influence persons, and negotiate or settle matters.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed in a combination of indoor office and outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and in active construction sites and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, traffic, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The work may frequently require standing; walking; using hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; Employee is occasionally required to taste or smell.
- The physical requirements of the job require frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Normal working hours (7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday) are expected; however, employee may be subject to call-outs at all times to perform emergency work and is encouraged to establish permanent residence within the service area.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position assists in supervising Electric Foreperson, Electric Supervisor, Lineworkers - Journey, Apprentice Lineworkers, Utility Locator, ROW Maintenance Crew Leader and Members, and Utility Meter Technician.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field or equivalent knowledge and skill.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require four to five years of related experience in electric line service work including metering, line service installation and repair.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) license and ITS certification required and/or ability to obtain within 12 months of starting position.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *