Department: Public Works
Salary: $16.56 per hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is responsible for performing difficult, finish carpentry work, to include carpentry, masonry, framing, roofing and preventive and building maintenance in the construction.
Essential Job Duties
- Plans carpentry projects; review plans and sketches to determine methods, materials and procedures; provides estimates for projects.
- Performs cabinet making, framing, drywall install and finish, masonry, preventative building maintenance to include roof, sheetrock, ceramic tile, floor covering, door, windows and related hardware repairs. Makes and forms concrete work and pours concrete.
- Operates equipment such as pick-up trucks/vans, drills, hand and heavy table saws, routers, drill press, jointers, planers, aerial man lift and various hand tools including but not limited to chain saws, weed eater, blower, shovel, rake, limb saw, etc.
- Trains and provides guidance, direction and instruction in finish carpentry in general and specialty areas, inspects work performed and assists with recurring and selection activities. Completes work orders and reports as needed.
- Assists in a variety of street and infrastructure construction, maintenance, and repair duties; repairs and replaces sidewalks, clears rights-of-way, repairs potholes, etc.
- Cleans storm drains.
- Replaces and repairs street signs.
- Assist in traffic control at work sites.
- Performs pre- and post-trip vehicle and equipment inspections; performs preventative maintenance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of the procedures and methods for building, altering, repairing, and maintaining various structures, equipment, fixtures, and/or furniture as needed to construct and maintain properties and equipment.
- Knowledge of city codes, ordinances, and city and federal regulations regarding building construction and street maintenance.
- Knowledge of the proper procedures for operating, inspecting and maintaining tools and related equipment as needed to construct and maintain properties and equipment.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations governing the operation of equipment.
- Knowledge of work safety principles and practices.
- Knowledge of heavy-duty equipment operation, safety and maintenance.
- Skill in building construction and street maintenance.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in interpersonal relationships/customer service.
- Skill in time management.
The Streets Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include the city and department policies and procedures as well as safety policies. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of related carpentry and maintenance duties. Inclement or extreme hot weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to perform carpentry work to include preventative and building maintenance in construction, modification and reconstruction of City buildings and structures. Successful performance contributes to safe and well-maintained infrastructure.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city personnel, vendors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to resolve problems, give or exchange information, and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is performed in a shop and outdoors, occasionally in cold, hot, or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for five to seven years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *