Department: Parks and Recreation
Salary: $14.28 per hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position assists in the maintenance of city park grounds, landscaping, athletic fields, and facilities.
PLEASE NOTE HOURS: Position generally works less than 30 hours per week. Must be flexible and able to work any hours including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as well as additional hours when needed.
Essential Job Duties
- Assists in the maintenance of city parks, athletic fields, and related facilities; performs turf management duties; prepares athletic fields for play.
- Installs and maintains landscaping.
- Removes litter and debris from playgrounds, parking lots, pavilions, and other park facilities; empties trash receptacles.
- Ensures work is performed in compliance with all relevant rules and regulations.
- Cleans and restocks restrooms.
- Assists in preparing for tournaments, special events, and programs.
- Trims, removes and provides care for trees, bushes and ornamental plants.
- Assists in the repair and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Performs minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repairs.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of park grounds maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of athletic field maintenance principles.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in the use of a variety of grounds maintenance tools and equipment.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Parks Operations Crew Leader assigns work in terms of specific instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of related maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in the maintenance of city parks and recreation facilities. Successful performance in this position contributes to provision of safe and well-maintained parks for use by city residents and visitors.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city personnel, vendors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to resolve problems and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, frequently in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *