JOB SUMMARY - FULL TIME
This position is responsible for the administration of the city’s finances.
- Oversees city funds to ensure departmental expenditures and revenues are properly charged and classified.
- Manages and supervises the work of departmental personnel; resolves conflicts.
- Prepares financial reports and completes special projects as assigned by the City Manager or City Clerk.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant federal and state laws.
- Prepares and recommends capital budget for adoption; assists department heads in formulating the operating budgets.
- Prepares GEFA loan draws for reimbursement to the city on water and sewer projects.
- Reviews month-end reconciliations to ensure proper classification.
- Updates the city’s financial policies and procedures.
- Verifies GL accounts for processing checks for city accounts payable.
- Handles banking relations.
- Coordinates loan requests and payments on city financial obligations.
- Prepares documentation for city leases.
- Maintains adequate cash levels in all city accounts.
- Coordinates the collection of taxes.
- Prepares budgets and monthly financial statements.
- Recommend changes to financial policies.
- Recommends millage rate.
- Maintains and coordinates daily bank deposits; checks daily bank deposits for accuracy.
- Prepares fixed asset schedules for city departments; assists with the proper capitalization and deletion of assets.
- Assists with the monthly utility billing process as needed.
- Maintains vendor files.
- Resolves procurement issues.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of municipal accounting and auditing principles.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal finance administration, including those related to budget preparation.
- Knowledge of statistical methods.
- Knowledge of the principles of supervision and management.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the application of sound administrative and fiscal practices.
- Skill in the preparation of clear and comprehensive explanatory financial reports.
- Skill in the development of manual and computerized financial systems.
- Skill in the preparation of accounting/financial data projections.
- Skill in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the work of personnel.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
Guidelines include the City Code of Ordinances, personnel and financial policies, Georgia Sunshine Law, state records retention guidelines, Uniform Chart of Accounts for Municipalities, GEFA loan policies and procedures, and relevant state and federal employment law. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied management, administrative, and supervisory duties. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to administer the financial operations of the City of Dawsonville. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of all city government operations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position supervises over the Accounts Payable Technician.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Valid Class C Driver’s License.
- Must have and maintain a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
Based on level of qualifications and experience.