City of Cartersville - Job Announcement
Closes: December 7, 2020
JOB TITLE: Assistant City Manager
DEPARTMENT: Administration, City of Cartersville
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the development and administration of all phases of the City’s operation as assigned by the City Manager. Employee makes recommendations to the City Manager, presents to the City Council, contributes to budget development and oversight, works on special projects and with departments as assigned, and responds to citizen concerns as directed.
- Provides direct and indirect supervision of department personnel as assigned by the City Manager with regards to City policies, administrative rules and guidelines, and all other information necessary to provide for the proper and efficient performance of those personnel.
- Plans, organizes, and oversees the day-to-day operations of City services through city departments and at the direction of the City Manager.
- Develops operating policies and procedures for assigned departments; coordinates policy development with department heads and the City Manager as appropriate.
- Provides leadership and works with City Manager to develop and retain highly competent, public-service oriented staff through selection, compensation, training, and day-to-day management practices.
- Serves as project manager for multi-department projects; coordinates the development of projects, reports, studies, grant proposals, and ordinances as requested by the City Manager.
- Assists the City Manager with the development and implementation of operating and budgetary policies and in the development of goals and objectives for departments and programs.
- Assists with purchasing, bidding of City contracts to ensure compliance and best value for products and services.
- Administers the employee retirement system as directed by the City Manager.
- Plans, organizes, and manages the preparation and administration of SPLOST projects.
- May represent the City on local, regional, and state-level boards, commissions, and task forces.
- Assists the City Manager with the planning and development of programs to achieve the goals and objectives as defined by elected officials.
- Assumes the duties of and represents the City Manager within assigned areas or in his/her absence.
- Attends City Council meetings and assists the City Manager in providing clarification of reports and recommendations.
- Provides or coordinates staff support to City boards and serves on various committees or task forces.
- Performs other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge and understanding of operations of city utilities.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public human resource management.
- Knowledge of the city code of ordinances and other regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of local government budgeting practices.
- Knowledge of the functions, organization, and operations of all city departments.
- Knowledge of the city’s demographic and economic profiles, including its industrial base.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws in all areas applicable to city government.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skill in management and supervision.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in developing short- and long-range plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required in public administration, business administration, public finance, management, or closely related field. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- At least eight (8) years of increasingly responsible experience at a management level in a local government(s) of similar size and complexity or a related field.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid Georgia driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- Ability to be bonded.
Ideally located with easy access to Atlanta and the North Georgia Mountains, Cartersville offers a community with a small-town feel while providing exceptional retail, restaurants, and cultural opportunities.
The City offers an excellent total compensation package to include a competitive salary, retirement benefits, medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; generous Paid Time Off (PTO), paid sick leave, and 11 paid holidays.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest, application, and/or resume in PDF format only to Human Resources in person at 1 North Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120 or email documents to HR@CityofCartersville.org. Please call Human Resources at 770-387-5685 if you have any questions about how to apply.