Department: Solid Waste, Camden County
Job Title: Heavy Equipment Mechanic (SW/03)
FLSA Status: Exempt Non-exempt X
Job Grade: 5
This position is responsible for repairing and maintaining heavy equipment used in landfill operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs preventive maintenance on all landfill heavy equipment, including diagnosing and repairing problems with engines, transmissions, and electrical, hydraulic, and cooling systems.
- Develops the preventive maintenance schedule for all equipment.
- Replaces tires and blades on equipment as needed.
- Seeks quotes or bids for parts, labor and shipping.
- Operates heavy equipment as needed.
- Operates loaders, grinders, mowers, and screens as necessary.
- Repairs light equipment, farm tractors, lawn mowers, cars and other vehicles.
- Repairs equipment using safety standards as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties or responsibilities does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of engine operation and mechanics for a variety of gasoline and diesel powered heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of engine repair principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of county and department policies and procedures, including purchasing.
- Knowledge of safety practices for in shop repairs and in the field repairs.
- Skill in diagnosing mechanical problems.
- Skill in reading schematic drawings and equipment manuals.
- Skill in performing preventive and corrective maintenance procedures.
- Skill in operating heavy equipment.
- Skill in operating a computer.
- Skill in using a variety of hand and power tools used in repairing heavy equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Education, Experience, and Certification Requirements
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position of one or two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.