An employee in this position performs responsible professional, administrative, and supervisory work in managing and overseeing all operations of the Public Works Department, which includes Solid Waste Management, Storm Water Management, Transportation, Right-of-Way Maintenance, Building Maintenance, Vehicle Maintenance and Animal Control. Work involves administering, directing, planning and coordinating all operations of the Public Works Department; developing policies and procedures; formulating long range plans; preparing the preliminary budget for the department; ensuring compliance with state and federal solid waste regulations; leveraging existing industry relationships and establishing new relationships to further the mission of the department and the City; communicating on a high-level with various local, state and federal agencies and jurisdictions; and, supervising staff directly and indirectly to ensure efficient and effective operation of the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Analyzes services, aligns services with community needs, assesses the effectiveness of services, provides strategic planning and develops departmental services to meet the future needs of the City when/where applicable.
- Supervises department employees, which involves such duties as instructing, assigning and reviewing work, maintaining standards, motivating, counseling, acting on employee problems, selecting new employees, appraising employee performance, recommending promotions, discipline, termination and salary increases.
- Plans, organizes, and manages all Public Works Department functions; reviews departmental functions to ensure compliance with procedures and to assess efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintains open lines of communication with other municipalities, public sector agencies which include transportation, environmental, and other relevant agencies, utility companies, planning organizations, and developers to ensure total compliance and cooperation.
- Confers and cooperates with Georgia DOT and DeKalb County Public Works on road maintenance, transportation and storm water issues.
- Conducts meetings with supervisors, employees and entire department to explain goals and objectives, and discuss problems.
- Ensures all employees observe applicable safety, health and environmental rules and guidelines.
- Attends and participates in training opportunities, workshops and seminars relevant to this position to remain knowledgeable of new techniques in the public works field and new laws or ordinances.
- Meets with individuals, civic groups, businesses and City Council to answer questions, respond to complaints, and promote a positive public image.
- Develops policies, procedures, and work practices; monitors implementation of department regulations; updates department policies as needed to maintain compliance with Federal, State, and local laws or regulations.
- Anticipates and plans for short and long range needs of the department.
- Prepares annual budgets for the Public Works, Storm Water and Sanitation Departments; administers the budgets on a daily and monthly basis; and verifies invoices involving departmental expenses.
- Prepares various department reports, weekly staff reports, and statistical reports as needed or required.
- Responsible for the recruitment and hiring of new employees, including the application process, and applicant interviews.
- Serves as the department’s purchasing officer by assessing needs, evaluating sources and pricing, preparing RFP’s and RFQ’s as needed, recommending purchases and approving purchase orders as authorized and completing required documentation.
- Receives and/or reviews various records and reports such as inquiries/complaints from citizens and the public; professional publications; invoices; financial statements and purchase orders.
- Prepares and/or processes various records and reports such as annual budget; weekly staff report, waste management report, annual storm water report, sediment and erosion control report, and animal control inspection/report.
- Refers to City, State and Federal code; various building and technical codes; City and department policy and procedure manuals; requests for service; and software and hardware operating manuals.
- Operates a vehicle, and a variety of equipment such as a computer, telephone, fax machine, chainsaw, trucks, computer, etc.
- Uses a variety of tools such as general hand tools, etc.; a variety of supplies such as office supplies, etc.; and a variety of computer software such as Windows, Microsoft Office, GIS software, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the City Manager, City department heads, City Council, State representatives, City employees, and the general public.
- Performs general administrative / clerical work as required, including but not limited to attending and conducting meetings, preparing reports and correspondence, copying documents, compiling data for reports, reviewing mail and literature etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field and five (5) years of progressive supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Certificate of Public Works Management from APWA and PMP preferred.
Must have a valid State Driver’s License.