Minimum Starting Pay: $16.66 per hour
This position operates assigned equipment in support of public works construction and maintenance projects.
- Operates a boom mower or tractor with bush-hog to mow grass and remove trees and brush along rights-of-way.
- Operates a motor grader to maintain unpaved roads.
- Operates a backhoe, trackhoe, and mini-excavator to lay pipe and clean ditches.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools to clear land, cut limbs, and remove brush.
- Picks up debris along county roads.
- Installs, repairs, and cleans out culverts.
- Installs, maintains, and repair road and traffic signs; removes damaged signs, including fabricating and applying lettering.
- Performs traffic control and flagging operations.
- Greases and performs preventive maintenance on equipment; changes blades.
- Performs other work as required or when directed by administration.
- In the event of an emergency, all Camden County employees are considered essential and may be required to perform alternate duties.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties or responsibilities does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment, and supplies used in public works maintenance.
- Knowledge of county and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the geography of the county, including road names and locations.
- Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, trucks, and equipment.
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing work.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Crew Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include traffic laws, work safety policies, and county policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related equipment operation duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to operate equipment in support of a variety of department operations. Successful performance contributes to the provision of safe and well-maintained county infrastructure.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.