Collaborating with the city manager, provides leadership for the city's communication plan's external media, government, and public relations components. The incumbent oversees communications involving the city, including the development and implementation of a communications strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Manages media relations for the city.
- Develops and implements a strategic media relations campaign to ensure a positive public image for the city.
- Collaborates with the city manager to develop the city’s mission statement.
- Oversees city communications and branding in various online and print platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and industry magazines.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of the city website including methods to deliver message, ease of navigation, and clarity of information; ensures that all content is current and relevant.
- Provides consistent and timely information to employees through various communications programs. Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, and brochures.
- Develops branding initiatives.
- Creates rich and creative content that is optimized for search engines.
- Monitors effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of all communication platforms and report on results and their contribution to the overall CoSF marketing/communications efforts.
- Works with the media to obtain press coverage of the city.
- Maintains contact with the city manager in news media, public statements, crisis communications, and public relations activities.
- Represents the city to news media.
- Oversees development and dissemination of press releases, web features, and other external media communications.
- Works with state and national elected officials to promote media awareness of city issues.
- Plans external audience special events for the city.
- Provides guidance and support to the city manager on planning events and other public relations activities.
- Represents the city at public events, press conferences, and meetings.
- Leads special projects for the City.
- Serves as the point person for specific initiatives to advance the City’s mission and goals.
- Develops and implements new programs and projects.
- Develops long-term strategies for citywide growth.
- Coordinates with vendors to ensure that events run smoothly.
- Develops comprehensive strategy for public events.
- Develops and oversees public relations communications processes.
- Directs the special projects manager in their role.
- Incumbent will have access to confidential material/information, necessitating considerable discretion, judgement, and diplomacy.
- Directs and oversees all activities of the Public Affairs Department.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires a thorough understanding of press/media relations, advertising and promotion, marketing, and communications.
- Experience functioning successfully as a communications strategist and spokesperson in a politically charged environment.
- Ability to function in a managerial capacity for a division or organizational unit; includes the ability to make decisions on procedural and technical levels.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in critical and/or unexpected situations involving moderate risk to the organization.
- Ability to deal effectively and efficiently with vendors, suppliers, other governmental agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, and Outlook and familiar with standard office machines.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to plan and conduct effective and informative public meetings.
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards, both on and off duty.
- Ability to work routinely under highly stressful conditions.
- Ability to promote a positive work environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to present department documents.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, to include overtime, emergency call back, shift work, nights, holidays and weekends to accommodate City needs.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City employees and the public.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective interpersonal relationships and resolving conflicts with tact and diplomacy.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- B.A. in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working directly with elected officials at various levels of government.
- At least five (5) years of experience in communications, corporate marketing, public relations, or creative agency experience.
- Significant experience in brand development and customer marketing.
- Experience with corporate branding approaches and strategies.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- A citizen of the United States or has obtained legal work status.
- Must pass a detailed background investigation.
- Work evenings, weekends and/or holidays as required.
- Possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5 - 10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: This position works in an office environment. While performing essential duties of the job, employees work in an environment under constant deadlines, and may be exposed to dust, cleaning fumes, and work around office equipment. The noise level in the work environment may be moderate to loud.