The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Qualified applicants may apply on our website by downloading an application packet at cityofcovington.org or may apply in person at the City of Covington, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until filled. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position will provide troubleshooting, service, setup and response to routine technical issues with hardware and software related to internet service; and/or other telecommunications offerings by the city. Additionally, the position will monitor, provide low-level support and schedule maintenance for the city’s 150 security cameras, as well as create graphical content and schedule the broadcasts for the city’s 3 cable channels.
Telecommunications Technician I (Grade 16)
• Entry Level
Telecommunications Technician II (Grade 18)
• Minimum of (2) years of experience installing or working with fiber optic cable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supporting Covington Digital internet service through installation, support, maintenance and use of fiber optic cabling, hardware and software.
• Prepping and splicing fiber optic cable using industry standard tools including cleaving, fusion splicing, slitting, stripping and cutting.
• Installs, repairs, adjusts internet service via routers, modems, switches and PON systems.
• Trouble-shoots internet service and connectivity issues as necessary from City Hall, or customer locations.
• Creating splice enclosure in vaults, pedestals and permanent building facilities.
• Responsibly and efficiently scheduling and maintaining a daily work load.
• Driving and operating a City of Covington Vehicle.
• Operating a bucket truck to install and maintain fiber optic and CAT5 cable on utility poles and structures in a safe and responsible fashion.
• Operating a bucket truck to install and maintain City of Covington security cameras on utility poles and structures in a safe and responsible fashion.
• Supporting other Telecommunications Department projects as assigned.
• Walking new customers through online setup of internet service by phone.
• Informing and educating potential internet customers of the features and benefits of Covington Digital over other internet competitors locally.
• Participates in on-going training to enhance products and customer skills.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
(A) High School Diploma or GED equivalent
(B) Minimum of (2) years of experience installing or working with fiber optic cable.
(C) Graduation from an accredited two-year college or university with an Associate's Degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of fiber optic technology and ability to use tools and equipment to install, test, maintain and troubleshoot hardware using industry standard tools including cleavers, splicers and ODTRs.
• Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and workdays, nights, and weekends and holidays as needed.
• Ability to drive and operate a vehicle and bucket truck.
• Ability to tactfully and courteously deal with customers.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Working experience with equipment: Adtran, internet switches, routers and gateways
• Familiarity with VoIP service and operation.
• Experience testing, repairing, installing, and maintaining the network equipment associated with the fiber-optic, Intranet and telephone systems.
• Team orientated.
Possession of a valid driver’s license and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.