City of Powder Springs
CAPITAL PROJECTS DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT Administration FLSA: Exempt
PAY GRADE 119 SALARY RANGE: $74,249.84 – 115,087.24
The capital projects management position coordinates the planning, design and construction processes for capital improvement projects. Projects are overseen from initial phases through completion.
The project manager typically takes the lead and strongly coordinates with all other City team members, other government entities, and community members and/or non-City partners.
- Positions in this class perform duties involving planning, budgeting, and scheduling all aspects of multiple capital improvement projects.
- Duties include negotiating, preparing and administering consultant contracts, coordinating design reviews, environmental reviews, right-of-way and permit acquisition, coordinating bidding and contract awards, supervising construction and monitoring project closeout.
- Ensure that objectives are met and projects are constructed to City development standards and applicable state or federal standards.
- Serve as the departmental representative with other City departments, outside agencies, special interest groups, and the public.
- Projects can be highly visible community projects and have a large variety of vocal stakeholders with individual political, economic, and neighborhood agendas.
- Prepare and conduct briefings and presentations on projects and controversial issues to City officials and community groups, design commission, and other applicable boards.
- Work with the communications team to execute the public outreach process, update websites, and inform constituents.
Positions in this class require a working knowledge of engineering and architectural design principles, practices and procedures, estimating techniques and project accounting, construction methods and the principles, methods and practices of project management. Additionally:
- Processes are controlled MS Office software.
- Guidelines available include laws, rules, regulations and codes applicable to public works construction and general construction industry standards and practices.
- Judgment is exercised in scheduling and coordinating activities between various parties, planning and developing projects, and negotiating contracts and schedules.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Engineering, Business Administration, Urban Planning or related field (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- Five years of capital project or construction management or related experience.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment.
- Field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather and hazardous construction sites.
- Three years of computer use, resulting in competent skills in Microsoft Word and Excel and the ability to adapt quickly to the use of project management-based software for construction management coordination with contractors, design teams, and internal teams.
- Three years of construction management experience with a variety of public works projects in a governmental setting.
- Strong familiarity with construction methods and contracting.
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken).
- A proactive approach to problem solving,
- Ability to handle a variety of demands and tasks and the flexibility to juggle multiple tasks while working in a fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in use of social media outlets, adobe programs, and Microsoft Project.
- A positive attitude and enjoyment of working in a team oriented atmosphere.
The City of Powder Springs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applicants must complete a City of Powder Springs employment application.
Applications may be down loaded and printed from the website at www.cityofpowdersprings.org or you may receive an application M-F 8:30am-4:pm at City Hall located at 1114 Richard D. Sailors Parkway, Powder Springs, GA 30127.
Submit completed application to:
City of Powder Springs,
Rosalyn Nealy, Human Resources Director
P. O. BOX 46
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Open until filled.