Under the general direction of the Parks and Recreation Assistant Director, the employee will provide pre-event, on-site and post event leadership for special events put on by external applicants and the City of Stonecrest. This position requires a detail-oriented, organized self-starter whose role is instrumental in supporting a robust special events calendar. The incumbent will exercise reasonable initiative and independent judgement in communicating extensively with event organizers and City Departments to ensure compliance with Parks and Recreation rules and regulations and the Special Events planning process.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Makes recommendations and assist in the preparation of the department budget.
- Prioritize job tasks and complete them within specified time frames meeting strict deadlines.
- This position requires attention to detail, strong organizational skills, creative thinking, and a passion for events and creating a high-quality guest experience.
- Enforces City policies, procedures and park rules for staff, instructors, volunteers, and contracted facility renters as well as enforcement of all safety procedures.
- Creates work schedules for events, details specific job duties and schedules staff as well as authors Employee Evaluations to direct report employees.
- Work independently and oversee special events to include set-up and take down at facilities and areas for special events, including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Manage festival contracts, vendors, and entertainment.
- Work closely with Communications team to develop and implement the marketing, advertising, and social media plans for all events.
- Work closely with other Community Development team members to ensure a comprehensive approach for special event sponsors.
- Required to drive and operate a City vehicle.
- Consults with others on complex problem situations and provides technical expertise.
- Provides progress and activity reports to senior management; and assists with the revision of procedure manuals as appropriate.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Parks & Recreation/Leisure Services Administration or closely related field. Three (3) years of progressively responsible related experience and/or training; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia’s driver license. Certification in basic first aid/CPR/AED, and certification as a Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) are preferred or must obtain both within one year of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of effective planning, scheduling and event management techniques and procedures; effective public information dissemination.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with staff members and/or supervisor and have working knowledge of appropriate technology to best serve the public and manage events.
- Ability to understand, follow and complete oral and/or written directions.
- Ability to multi-task assignments with concurrent deadlines and varying degrees of complexity.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports; explain rules, procedures, and processes clearly and concisely.
- Able to coordinate the technical needs of events, including administering contracts, purchasing materials, obtaining permits, arranging security, parking and soliciting vendors and sponsors.
- Ability to follow and maintain a budget.
- Ability to communicate and establish rapport, understanding and confidence with participants and the public; exercise independent judgment in the application of event rules and procedures; plan, promote, organize, and coordinate events; and be a team player in the organization.
- Possess strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to present in front of a group.
- Skilled in event site layout to promote good participant circulation and safety needs.
- Skill in dealing with members of the public, a variety of contract personnel and providing leadership internally to other team members.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Interacts and communicates clearly with coworkers, citizens, and vendors in a courteous, friendly manner.
- Manages difficult situations, responds promptly to needs, solicits consultant feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments
- Exhibits tact, consideration, and patience in demanding situations
- Approaches sudden, unexpected challenges effectively with confidence
- Punctual, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems time efficiently; Gathers and analyzes information; Develops solutions; Uses reason.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively; Listens and gets clarification when necessary; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and concisely; Edits work; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office and outdoors. Exposure to all types of weather and will work around light and heavy equipment.
- The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
- The employee performs some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require local travel.
May work an adjusted schedule for assisting in events occurring after 5:00 p.m. such as meetings, or planned events.
REQUIREMENTS INCLUDED IN THIS CLASS SPECIFICATION MAY BE SUBJECT TO MODIFICATION IN ORDER TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE OTHERWISE QUALIFIED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB.
Must apply online: www.stoncrestga.gov