Under the general direction of the Park Operations Manager, the employee will consist of manual labor performing semi-skilled tasks or assisting skilled workers. Positions allocated to this classification report to a designated supervisor and work under direct or limited supervision. Work in this class is distinguished from higher classes by its lack of supervisory duties and from lower classes by its emphasis on semi-skilled parks maintenance and construction.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs routine trail, grounds and landscaping work, including but not limited to: pruning or trimming vegetation, pulling weeds, mowing, spraying or applying herbicide and fertilizer, raking or blowing leaves, edging curbs, loading trimmings onto truck, picking up trash and blowing or sweeping debris off parking lots and sidewalks.
- Performs basic installation of city trees, shrubs, and bedding plants, including but not limited to: preparing planting sites, digging holes, setting and watering plants and preparing appropriate supporting structures.
- Operates motorized equipment such as mowers, tractors, frontend loader, backhoe trucks, dump trucks, and trailers used to transport materials and equipment to maintain parks, grounds, athletic fields and other areas. Operates other equipment as required. Services and washes vehicles.
- Inspects and perform scheduled preventative maintenance on assigned equipment, including but not limited to: checking and making appropriate adjustments, lubricating, performing fluid and filter changes, replacing components and lighting maintenance and repairs.
- Performs athletic field maintenance, including but not limited to: chalking, dragging and watering infields and warning tracks, packing holes on pitchers mounds, home plates and bullpens, laying out fields, painting lines and bases, picking up trash and removing practice equipment from fields.
- Assists with the maintenance, assembly and repair of recreation equipment.
- Assists or performs basic electrical, carpentry, plumbing, painting, concrete, and other trade work. Uses and maintains power hand tools, such as drills, nailing guns and circular saws.
- Performs hand and bench work in a carpentry shop and performs welding and metal repairs.
- Supports City special events and programs by updating, repairing and caring for displays and exhibits, moving and lifting of heavy equipment, tables, and chairs, setting up barricades and other temporary traffic control devices, providing flagging services and cleaning up at the end of events.
- Assists in moving and storing office equipment and cleaning and maintaining buildings and facilities.
- Ensures park facilities are properly secured after normal hours and responds to emergencies and disasters. Enforces compliance with building rules and regulations.
- Attends work on continuous and regular basis.
- Consults with others on complex problem situations and provides technical expertise;
- Provides progress and activity reports to senior management; and assists with the revision of procedure manuals as appropriate;
- Performs related duties as assigned
Completion of high school or equivalency diploma and one year experience in laboring work, professional landscape work or park maintenance, including the use of hand and power tools and motorized equipment including trucks, trailers, mowers and tractors and equipment maintenance, repair and construction work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia’s driver license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of types and uses of common hand and power tools, materials, and standard equipment used in grounds keeping, facility maintenance, construction, and repairs.
- Knowledge of maintenance and construction methods related to parks, athletic fields and recreation equipment.
- Knowledge of precautions necessary to work safely with tools and mechanized equipment and around the public.
- Ability to perform manual tasks involving physical strength and endurance under variable weather conditions including working with herbicides and around extreme heat.
- Ability to work effectively with coworkers and the general public, including angry and/or abusive individuals.
- Ability to read and understand detailed and complex work schedules and diagrams. Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to conform to grooming and dress codes (uniforms furnished).
- Prioritizes and plans work activities and use time efficiently
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve performance
- Interacts and communicates clearly with coworkers, citizens and vendors in a courteous, friendly matter
- Manages difficult situations, responds promptly to needs, solicits consultant feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments
- Exhibits tact, consideration, and patience in difficult situations
- Approaches sudden, unexpected challenges effectively with confidence
- Punctual, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems time efficiently; Gathers and analyzes information; Develops solutions; Uses reason.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively; Listens and gets clarification when necessary; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and concisely; Edits work; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Pre-employment physical examination required.
- Work requires physical strength and agility sufficient to safely perform all essential functions.
- Work may require performance of tasks outdoors under varying climatic conditions.
- Work may require exposure to hazardous conditions, prolonged noise levels, and noxious chemicals and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Work may require performing tasks in and around heavy traffic.
- May drive or operate other pieces of light to medium equipment or trucks in the absence of regular equipment operators or truck drivers.
- May act in the absence of supervisor.
- May direct the work of contractors or volunteers.
May work an adjusted schedule for assisting in events occurring after 5:00 p.m. such as meetings, or planned events.
REQUIREMENTS INCLUDED IN THIS CLASS SPECIFICATION MAY BE SUBJECT TO MODIFICATION IN ORDER TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE OTHERWISE QUALIFIED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB.
Must apply online: www.stonecrestga.gov