This classification conducts duties related to the preparation and submittal of annual departmental budgets.
Duties and Responsibilities
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Assists City departments and agencies in the preparation and submittal of annual departmental budgets; determines schedules, guidelines and format of budget submittals; researches, complies, and summarizes data needed for formulation of budget estimates; selects and enters budgetary information on a wide variety of related forms, schedules, and reports; analyses various budget scenarios and situational budget reductions and calculates related adjustments.
- Prepares financial impact statements and analyzes departmental requests to formulate budget recommendations.
- Conducts financial analysis and generates financial and statistical reports for decision makers; analyzes actual financial data weekly/quarterly to project potential surplus and/or deficits within various departments’ budgets; analyzes departmental operations and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Prepares reports and reviews monthly analyses of expenditures.
- Assists in the preparation of the City’s annual budget book for public distribution; conducts research and analysis of state and local statistical data for comparisons; compiles revenue and expenditures for various City fund budgets; and converts actual and projected figures into graphical data for visual comparisons.
- Processes budget adjustment requests and assists in resolving budget and funding issues; approves or rejects adjustment requests in compliance with state, local, and federal law; and conducts analysis to ensure appropriate movement of funding.
- Leads department budget meetings.
- Provides training and assistance to departments/individuals in the use of financial information systems.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration or a related field supplemented by three (3) years of experience in financial analysis, budget development, public accounting, or auditing; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.