This position is responsible for assisting the City Manager with managing and directing the activities of assigned departments in the City of East Point.
- Works with the City Manager and department heads in planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing programs affecting assigned areas of responsibility.
- Coordinates with other managers of City services on matters affecting their areas of responsibility or on special projects assigned by the City Manager.
- Recommends hiring, promotion and termination of employees.
- Briefs the City Manager on issues of concern in the departments and functions in assigned area of responsibility to ensure proper action.
- Meets and corresponds with various citizen, professional, business, and other groups to answer questions and secure their help in implementing various programs.
- Reviews and provides recommendations of annual budget for departments within assigned area.
- Reviews results of major studies and coordinates the preparation of reports and recommendations.
- Confers with employees and employee group leaders about grievance problems as assigned.
- Attends Council meetings and reports on activities for which responsible as requested by the City Manager.
- Confers with officials of City, county, state and federal agencies regarding plans and priorities for existing and planned programs.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and works cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Directs the overall operation of the city in the absence of the City Manager when designated.
- Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, political science, or related field; Master’s degree in Public Administration preferred; five (5) to seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in local government, or related field including three (3) years in a supervisory role; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of modern policies and practices of municipal government.
- Knowledge of personnel management practices.
- Knowledge of City codes, ordinances, resolutions, policies, and guidelines regarding the City organization and operations.
- Knowledge of functions and activities of City departments.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal government budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of state laws, regulations, and guidelines governing City operations.
- Skill in preparing and administering municipal budgets.
- Skill in planning, organizing, staffing, and directing the efficient and effective delivery of City services, programs, and functions through subordinate staff.
- Skill in providing responsive advice and staff support to the Mayor and Council.
- Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports.
- Ability to establish priorities and direct the allocation of City resources.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials and the public.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively manage municipal activities of more than one department.
Supervisory Controls: Work is performed under the direct supervision of the City Manager.
Guidelines: Guidelines include City and departmental policies and procedures; City codes and ordinances and other Federal, State and Local laws.
Complexity: The work consists of a variety of highly administrative, technical, and supervisory duties.
Scope and Effect: The position effectively and efficiently manages the operations of the City.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers, vendors, developers, state, federal, county, and local governments, and the public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and resolve conflict and solve problems.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed with the employee sitting at a desk.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed in an office.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
This position is responsible for assisting with management and supervision of all departments in the City.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Please submit application to: www.eastpointcity.org