At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our city clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our city planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our city, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
Posting: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with experience
General Description and Classification Standards
The main objective of the Solid Waste Route Supervisor is to supervise crews that consist of Solid Waste Equipment Operators and Environmental Service Workers engaged in Curbside Collections division or Special Operations division.
The responsibilities of this position include, but not limited to are: Supervises, directs, and monitors performance of assigned personnel and equipment in daily Office of Solid Waste Services including Residential Curbside Collections division (garbage, recycling, and yard trimmings) and Special Operations division including Multi-Family Collection, Backyard Service Collection, Street Cleaning, Bulky Waste Collection, Illegal Dumping, Right-Of-Way Litter Abatement, Right-of-Way Cutting and Mowing, Cart Delivery, Right-of-Way Receptacles and Special Events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Below is a list of some of the typical day-to day duties of the Route Supervisor:
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance reviews.
- Coordinates, assigns and reviews work and establishes work schedules; maintains standards; monitors status of work in progress; inspects completed work assignments; answers questions; gives advice and direction as needed.
- Monitors vehicle repair and maintenance needs and forwards to appropriate personnel.
- Supervises and directs the daily routes and/or assignment; monitors the performance of assigned personnel and equipment.
- Assigns trucks and crews to daily routes and assignments.
- Ensures equipment is operating properly, safely, and effectively.
- Investigate customer complaints and brings them to a resolution.
- Ensures staff reports to roll call in city issued uniform and appropriate safety gear.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Evening, weekend, or holiday work may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures
- Knowledge of city personnel policy
- Knowledge of equipment
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work
- Skill in the supervision of personnel
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Knowledge of operation and function of Curbside Collections division and/or Special Operations division
- Knowledge of related City of Atlanta codes and ordinances
- Knowledge of Solid Waste Services programs and collection service areas.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in resolution of conflicts
- Skill in performing all typical tasks associated with the area of assignment and in adapting to new situations or configurations.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills in providing direction to a group of skilled employees.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to train and manage a group of skilled and semi-skilled employees in carrying out technical, maintenance, or solid waste related activities.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment, including but not limited to: rear loaders, sweepers, front end loaders, automated side loader, knuckle boom (grapple) truck, and dump truck.
- Requires the ability to operate general office equipment, such as a computer, copier, and telephone and smartphone and or tablet device.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- 4 years of job related work experience including 1 year of supervisory experience (or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job).
- Microsoft Office
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license with an acceptable driving history.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate Degree or bachelor’s degree
- Four (4) years of supervisory experience with front-line employees, solid waste management or public works; or experience in transportation and logistics; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.