The Greene County Board of Commissioners is looking for a Director of Elections who is a competent, effective, and experienced manager with elections experience to join their team.
About the Role
Under supervision of the County Manager, with oversight from the Greene County Board of Elections & Registration, the Director oversees the operations and staff of the Elections & Registration Department that serve the registered voters and citizens of Greene County. While the department is funded by the Greene County Government, a 3-member citizen board comprised of one member each appointed by the county Democratic and Republican parties, and the Chairman appointed by the Board of Commissioners is responsible for conducting all county, state and federal elections that are held in Greene County as well as serve as an election resource for municipalities within the county. As such, the Board shall have jurisdiction over the performance of primaries, elections and the registration of electors and may provide guidance, policy and direction to the Director of Elections. However, the Director is responsible to run the day-to-day operations of the election office and its employees.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Develop staff and department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures relating to voter registration and elections in Greene County.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal election and voter registration laws, rules, and regulations.
- Prepare, present and manage the department's annual budget.
- Ensure accurate collection and maintenance of voter registration data and administers the County elections and associated services, including absentee balloting, voter registration, voter education and outreach.
- Represent the Election and Registration office in communications with the media, in communications and meetings with the Board of Commissioners, other elected officials and the public.
- Collect information and validate candidates for elective office, ensure the availability of training for poll workers, and direct efforts to educate voters on elections in the County.
- Oversee election precinct boundaries and administer the selection of polling places in the County.
- Manage the preservation, storage, preparation, testing and maintenance of departmental election equipment.
- Prepare and manage logistics of the department and the BoE regular monthly and special meetings in partnership with Board Chair.
- Communicate with and inform Board Members in accordance with Board bylaws, policies, and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Capabilities
- A proven record of successfully leading organizations responsible for voter registration and elections serving a community of comparable size and complexity to Greene County, GA.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, build, and inspire a diverse team of full-time professionals, including team building, ensuring professional accountability of staff members.
- Ability to develop, implement, and continuously improve registration and election processes and infrastructure.
- Ability to ensure the coordination and leadership of poll workers and/or temporary elections support staff in periods leading up to and during elections cycles.
- Understanding of HR policy, including performance management tasks (reviews, evaluations and corrective actions).
- Elevated level of proficiency, understanding and application of and adherence to election laws.
- Advanced level of ability to manage budgets, contracts, and legal compliance.
- Outstanding communications skills, including public speaking and presentations, business writing, and the ability to respond to questions or inquiries extemporaneously.
- Proven capabilities to exchange information clearly, consistently, and with confidence, honesty, and integrity.
- Personal and professional integrity, character, and reputation.
- Advanced level ability to apply practical and theoretical principles and best practices in data collection, coordination, data reporting, application management and related capabilities.
- The ability to identify trends, emerging challenges, and viable options and opportunities.
- Excellent people skills and the ability to foster collaborative working relationships among internal and external customers.
How to Apply
It is requested that applications be completed online (https://www.greenecountyga.gov/FormCenter/Human-Resources-11/Application-for-Employment-55). However, paper applications are available at the Greene County Board of Commissioners’ Office, 1034 Silver Drive, Suite 201, Greensboro GA 30642. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application.
• Bachelor's degree in public administration, Political Science, Business Administration, Operations Management, or related field preferred.
• 5+ years of Elections & Registration experience preferred.
• 5+ years of demonstrated ability to lead, manage, build, and inspire a diverse team of full-time professionals to develop, implement, and continuously improve processes.
• 5+ years of management experience for an organization size comparable to the county.
• Experience reporting to a board or policymaking body preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
• Possess and maintain Georgia Election Official and Georgia Voter Registrar certification (or be willing to acquire the certification upon hiring).
• Georgia Driver's License
• Registered Georgia Voter
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/DRUG FREE WORKPLACE