Chief Court Clerk
This is a clerical and administrative position that provides support for the Porterdale Municipal Court. The incumbent’s duties include: entering citations into database, running criminal and driving history reports, and scheduling court cases.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides clerical support by answering and directing phone calls; assists at the front counter, distributes paperwork and information, processes and prepares legal documents and court forms; documents court orders and files paperwork;
- Prepares and processes all documents related to court including trial and arraignment dockets, subpoenas, waivers, suspensions, warrants, tickets, probation paperwork and sentence orders;
- Works in a courtroom setting during court proceedings;
- Maintains court related files, jail logs, current municipal codebooks;
- Enters and checks all court dates for arraignment, prisoner and probation dockets;
- Accesses information on GCIC for the court or other authorized persons;
- Collects citations from officers; enters citations into the departments computer system and submits to the State of Georgia; runs criminal and driver history reports for each individual that receives a citation; enters information into the GCIC system to create warrants, adds dispositions to criminal and/or drivers history; retrieves information from both systems for arraignments and trials;
- Maintains case files on incidents and arrests; assigns file numbers; constructs new case files; transfers cases to the appropriate agency;
- Responds to citizens, telephone and written inquires;
- Provides assistance and information to attorneys, agencies, City staff and the general public on court procedures and the status of cases;
- Assists the judge, solicitor, attorney and other court personnel during court proceedings;
- Receives bond, fine and warrant payments; records receipts and deposits payments according to established court and cash handling procedures;
- Assists other divisions of the police department as necessary;
- Financial Responsibilities: Accept, receive, and/or collect payments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires High school diploma or equivalent; six (6) months of customer service and/or police records experience preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic knowledge of the practices and procedures involved in law enforcement record keeping and confidentiality;
- Knowledge of City policies, procedures, codes, ordinances and applicable state, federal, and local laws;
- Knowledge of GCIC rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of modern office practices, methods, equipment, and standard clerical procedures;
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices;
- Knowledge of basic math and accounting practices;
- Knowledge of appropriate contacts for related police and court issues;
- Skill in operating a computer and entering data into a database;
- Ability to operate GCIC to run criminal and driving history reports;
- Ability to read and comprehend various technical reports and legal terminology;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Ability to handle stressful situations;
- Ability to communicate with confrontational people;
- Ability to maintain accurate records;
- Ability to type and enter data correctly;
- Ability to maintain accurate and complete records;
- Ability to prepare monthly reports;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires GCIC Certification Court Clerk Certification.
The work is sedentary work and requires light lifting, standing, hearing, mental acuity, repetitive motion, speaking, and talking.
Incumbent works in a work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume to Franklin Etheridge at email@example.com.