Porterdale is seeking an energetic and goal oriented Public Works Director. The City of Porterdale serves a population of approximately 1,900, with 18 full time employees. We are an innovative, clean, and safe city where our citizens enjoy a good quality of life.
The Public Works Director directs the activities of a full-service public works department which includes water/sewer distribution, storm water, streets, grounds and fleet maintenance.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to: planning, directing and supervising all departmental activities for Water and Wastewater Distribution, Streets, Solid Waste, and Stormwater.
Conducting administrative policy duties for the department including writing reports, preparing and monitoring annual budget, proposing ordinances and resolutions, and proposing policy changes, including contract compliance.
This is a hands-on position that requires a person willing to engage with their subordinates to complete routine and emergency tasks in the field. The position involves the administering and supervising of work including, but not limited to, planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, making complex operating decisions and using professional judgment concerning the maintenance and construction projects assigned to the Public Works Department. They will manage responses during daily operations and emergencies to protect, repair, and maintain public infrastructure including roadways, traffic signs, stormwater systems, and capital budget; also, coordinating local public improvement projects with State and Federal officials according to relevant laws, rules, and regulations.
The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position.
- Performs a full range of general repair duties related to the City's water distribution system: repair broken water lines including transmission mains, distribution mains and residential and commercial water service lines; performs hot taps under pressure; disinfects new water pipes or parts used for repairs and utilizes other proper repair techniques to provide sanitary water to the public; meter reading, meter installation and replacement; and maintain a Class IV water and wastewater distribution license.
- Repairs asphalt and concrete after repairs to water distribution system; repairs concrete sidewalk panels; assists patch crew in laying new asphalt in the streets; makes temporary street patches as necessary.
- Maintains the right-of-ways and city parks; setting a mowing, edging, and pruning schedule.
- Operates a variety of vehicles, equipment and tools including service trucks, dump trucks, sewer trucks, backhoe, concrete and asphalt cutting saws, jackhammer, soil compacting tamper and hand and power tools; loads and unloads vehicles and equipment.
- Serves in emergency standby capacity; provides customer service and performs all aspects of distribution system maintenance and repair during after hour periods including holidays and weekends.
- Maintains records of basic operations, maintenance and work performed.
- Prepares and administers budgets and makes necessary financial reports.
- Oversees and monitors departmental orientation, training and safety procedures.
- Prepares, reviews and selects bids from contractors for larger jobs which cannot be completed with in-house personnel using City bid policies and procedures.
- Performs plan review of development and redevelopment sites.
- Performs administrative duties and enforces the Soil and Sediment Control Act of 1975.
- Oversees the City’s Solid Waste Management Plan & Storm Water Management Plan.
- Attends necessary maintenance, supervisory and management courses.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge/Skills Required for this Position:
- Departmental standard operating procedures.
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Able to understand and carry out both verbal and written instructions.
- Construction principles and practices pertaining to municipal public works projects,
- Ability to work as part of a team/crew.
- Effectively able to direct, supervise and motivate personnel.
- Able to communicate with citizens, elected officials, City management and subordinates with equal effectiveness.
- Requires the ability to exchange information for the purpose of clarifying details within established policies, procedures, and standards.
- Able to analyze problems and determine the best course of action.
- Handle materials, equipment, procedures and methods used in a variety of public works projects.
- Requires ability to calculate and or tabulate dates; and react performing subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data.
- Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Able to use computers, including emails, WORD, EXCEL, spreadsheets as well as calculators, telephones, fax’s and copy machines.
- Must be able to perform all essential duties
- Two (2) to Five (5) years of progressive responsible public works or public administration experience, preferable in a local government.
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Five (5) years of experience in construction, maintenance or public works operations.
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License.
- Acceptable three (3) year Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
- Available for emergency on-call on a 24-hour basis.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, certification, and/or experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job may be considered.
BENEFITS: The City of Porterdale offers an excellent benefits package which includes life, health, dental, and vision insurance (including telemedicine), PTO, and Retirement plan.
The City of Porterdale is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Certified Drug-Free Work Place.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit (prefer email) your cover letter and resume with current salary to:
Franklin Etheridge, City Manager
City of Porterdale
P.O. Box 667
Porterdale, GA 30070
Phone: (770) 786-2217