The City of Norcross is looking for a full-time Events Manager. The purpose of this position is to develop and implement tourism-generating strategies, including event coordination, planning, research, communications, and related activities for the city.
The incumbent in this position will support and organize events for the City of Norcross, ensuring event related tasks are delivered in a professional manner in accordance with organizational goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate special events and projects as assigned.
- Directs staff participating in events.
- Serves as liaison to event vendors; coordinates the registration process, including distributing materials, assigning exhibit space, and collecting appropriate fees.
- Plan and implement tourism activities.
- Assists with training, scheduling, and supervising volunteers for special events.
- Prepares briefs, summaries, fact sheets, and other required data for event planning; prepares and maintains reports, records, and files.
- Receives and responds to questions and inquiries; identifies and resolves issues in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information.
- Interprets and communicates event regulations, guidelines, and policies; reports and resolves program policy and procedure issues.
- ability to strategically plan and schedule more than 12 months in advance and adhere to set schedules.
- Create and manage event budget.
- Creates a variety of sponsor opportunities unique to each event to raise funds to support the event, including identifying sponsors, recruiting sponsors, writing and producing sponsor packets, and following up with sponsors during and after each event.
- Works with marketing in creating marketing packages for all events (webpages, banners, sponsorship packets, press releases, promotional materials, etc.)
- Works with other city departments to ensure necessary permits and regulations compliance.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with department personnel, organizers of events, local businesses, sponsors, media, and community groups; develops partnerships with other agencies and departments.
- Coordinates with other city departments for logistical support for events, including security, clean-up, barricades, fencing, first-aid, and permits.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, city officials, the public, the media, community groups, outside agencies, vendors, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review the status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Provides customer service functions to the public; provides cheerful presence and people skills with an emphasis on professionalism and the ability to work with a diverse constituency.
- Acts as film liaison for the city by reviewing applications and documentation, answering questions, notifying appropriate departments, collecting fees, issuing permits, and addressing feedback from the public, businesses, staff, and film groups.
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Moderate experience in event planning, sales, marketing, and public relations or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are a must.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; strong attention to detail and ability to follow through.
- Flexibility to perform duties after regular hours, on weekends and holidays, as required to meet community needs.
- Must be proficient in social media platforms.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Any other duties as assigned.
Scope and Impact:
The incumbent in this position must have the ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information. The need for accuracy and strong attention to detail with the ability to recognize errors is essential.
Contacts are typically with co-workers, department heads, other city employees, citizens, visitors, and the general public. The nature of this interaction is generally to provide or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services. This position requires high customer contact in person, on the phone, and via email.
- Knowledge of the City of Norcross.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow up on tasks with minimal direction and oversight.
- Must have knowledge of the tour and travel industry, visitor solicitation and service programs, and marketing and public relations.
- Must be proficient in Social Media Platforms.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to edit and create PowerPoint Presentations.
- Ability to communicate and work well with others in a professional office environment.
- Creative, strategic, and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends as events occur.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this position successfully. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Occasionally lift and move up to 30 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work is typically performed with the employee sitting, standing, walking, running, bending, crouching, or stooping.
Job Type: Full-time
Starting Salary is $59,654.33 (minimum) up to $77,550.63 (midpoint) based on qualifications/experience.
Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest and updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.orgEOE/DFW